Dealing w/my 3 yr old and 21mth old and my frustration?

Part of this may be venting and partly asking for advice/help. My 2 (almost) and 3 year old seem to get into everything. EVERYTHING. I cant turn around for a second w/out them breaking, spilling, climbing...something! Today they broke my glasses! I try to keep everything out of reach and a keep a close eye on them, but the little devils are sneaky and smart! How can I teach them to play with their toys instead of Mommy's things? They act like playing with their toys is total punishment!

K-e-r-i

Asked by K-e-r-i at 10:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I started packing thing away that I did not want them to play with. I keep all the doors shut and block off the kitchen. When me move I will put all the kids beds on a room and use the spare as a play room. I make up their room in the morning and they tear the blankets off the bed and sometimes the mattress! Argh. To day I found 3 rolls of TP in the toilet, and they like to snack on cheese in the fridge or eat the powder formula.. I know what you mean-- But if you can contain them in an area for free and total no rules play it is better for you to keep from stressing,,, IMO. But enforce rules in other parts of the house still, like kitchen, bathroom, and other ppl's spaces
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I can't really answer your question, but I will say my twins are just like that! Their older brother never got into stuff like they do. And right now they are three, and it doesn't stop. I've done everything, and it hasn't worked. My condolences. Lol.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Thanks for your help. Ive got baby locks and fridge locks and baby gates galore. Im sure its just a phase and will end soon enough...Im just hoping I have a little bit of sanity when its over!
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 9:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I think its a phase they all go through...you always gotta stay one step ahead...I threaten to throw toys away, and my DD i thenmore apt to play with them...
    angi_mona

Answer by angi_mona at 6:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Some things to help- 1- babyproof everything! Baby locks on cabinets, cleaning supplies UP in closet, closet locks, baby gates for bathroom and stairs, plastic socket protectors, etc.... (You have some explorers it seems!) 2nd- Give them a lot of things they CAN play with (but that look like your things)- example; adult size paper plates, plastic spoons, play jewelry, pots and pans, dress up clothes- (anything that looks like things YOU use but they can't break).....
    hannahk

Answer by hannahk at 4:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• 3-get them outside or someplace they can be very active- take them to a playgroup/ a playground a couple hours before you have to do something (like cook dinner) and try to have them wear themselves out and 4- give them something to do with their hands whenever possible- playdough (especially homemade stuff so they can eat it without harm), a little water in a bucket with some plastic cups does wonders (if you don't mind them getting wet), bubble machines are great, squeaky balls, even a cardboard box sometimes entertains! Also of you take some toys and stash them somewhere then "switch" them every two weeks they will not get bored of their toys. These are all things I did! Hope it helps!
    hannahk

• i have a almost 3 year old son and a 4 year old daughter they have more toys then any kid could imagine, but they still get into my stuff. i try to take them to the park, but its such a hassle to get them ready, i dont even like to take them anywhere. they love tv and movies, which i put on, they're age apporiate. but they still argue and bug the hell out of me. i dont know what to do ither.
    jo-42

Answer by jo-42 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2008