What is the best age to have the birds and the bees talk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Best to have it at many ages - starting about the time they are learning to speak so that they learn the proper names for anatomical structures and concluding with... oh I don't know... maybe the birth of their children?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• agree with previous poster - this is a lifelong discussion had at various times that begins by teaching them about their own bodies and appropriate touch and inappropriate touch. I started telling my daughter about her period when she was about 8 that she should expect it when she turns 10-12 most likely (she was 10 when she got it). I had THE talk with my daughter once she got a period at 10 - at about 12 or 13 I had the STD and a more graphic discussion with her about sex, diseases, being emotionally ready all that stuff. I always kept a running discussion with her about sex and everything that goes with it. Not always comfortable but oh so necessary.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It is an on going conversation my guidline I use for my kids is 0-3 goof touch bad touch 3-6 proper names for body parts. 6-9 Baisc functions of sex and birth the mechanics and touching on our families views of sex is for married couple 9-12 the emotional aspects of sex and dating including self exploration masturbation. My other guide line is 'If they are old enough to ask they are old enough to get an answer.' They got the question form something and it's best they get the true story form you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The second they're curious about it or at the age of 10, whatever comes first.
    It should be an ongoing conversation.. And the leading up to it should be about appropriate touching between friends, adults, etc. And other talks about the body and what-not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Everything they said....start from day one and add slowly but surely. By 10 though, I think they should know as much as you. You can always re affirm and add to the discussion. Kids in school that weren't really taught correctly will try to tech your child stuff. If you have already had all the talks, they can be the bearer of truth and awesome information early for there friends.

My son had to explain to his friends at 14 that you CAN get pregnant if you haven't had your first period. He also had to explain that you can get pregnant whether you are in the middle of your period or between cycles. These kids had NO clue about anything.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i wouldn't give them the birds and the bees talk to young, but at like age 2 or 3 i would start telling them boys have Penises, and girls have vagina. And have them point on pictures in magazines saying is this a boy or girl. that way they don't ask about why girls don't have what the boys have. Get their gender part right first. But around age 10 slowly explain to them where and how babies are made, don't go to detailed yet, wait until age 12 to get the whole thing in and around the 12 and show ur son condoms, and around 13 i would have daddy show sons put on condom with a cucumber. And girls in that case when they get their first period i would explain to them that if they have sex and it is unprotected that they could get pregnant.
    So the proper age to start the actual talk i would think around 10 but not to detailed, more detailed around 12 and 13.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It's not just ONE talk. It should be an ongoing discussion, starting when they first ask or show interest.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It should be ongoing conversations that start as early birth. Children should know the correct names for body parts, they should know good touch/bad touch, they should understand healthy relationships, they should understand how sex impacts relationships, they need to be taught to their self-worthy and to respect themselves and others (others may disagree but this is vital to sex education). All these things combined are part of sex education, body changes shouldn't be a big a surprise for them they should know prior to puberty their body is going to change and be comfortable and accepting when it happens. Any questions should be answered honestly at an age appropriate level. These talks really never stop, I started when they came home from the hospital ensuring their self esteem as well as always utilizing proper names for body parts and I still today have conversations almost daily in one form another with both my kids.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011