How do u keep the house clean and in good shape when u babysit, and have 2 kids and husband that make messes?

I am a stay at home mom and mother of 2 boys ages 3 and the other is 6months old. I also babysit my neighbor's sons ages 3 and the other 7. My husband works 5am-2pm.
I try so hard to keep my house clean and in good shape, but no matter how hard i try it just gets back in the same way (a mess). My husband comes home, takes his work clothes off, puts them down the shoot, but for some reason can't do it with his socks. When all the kids go down for nap i then clean up their toys, and do the dishes all before i have to run to the school to get the 7 year old. Then when i get him to my house, he takes out his snack and leaves uneaten pieces on my couch, table, chairs or where ever he was, and even leaves wrappers too. SO i clean up after kids that are not mine, and mine, and even my husband.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• may i add i even have a house rules, that just for some reason i follow, but no one else, and one of the house rules is pick up toys and trash when finished. Even put dirty clothes in the shoot
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I find hog-tying the husband helps... but if you have no rodeo skills, don't pick his stuff up. When he runs out of socks he'll get the idea.

As to the seven year old... food ONLY at the table, nowhere else. It'll keep things under control.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i would teach the 7 year old to throw his stuff away! but other then that if u figure it out let me know! my house is clean during nap time and at bed time other then that its a mess! but my dd is playing and having fun with her toys so its ok! and the house is "clean" u just cant see the clean floor cuz of all the toys lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Put a consequence to not following the house rules. Talk to the seven year old's mom about an appropriate consequence.

Dad is now in charge of HIS OWN laundry till he learns to put EVERYTHING in the chute. That's HIS consequence.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Omg girl there is no way unless u tie them all up. LOL I have a 6 week old and a two year old I cleaned all day here and there and amazingly if I keep on the 2 year old it will stay pretty clean but when my S/O and older daughter comes in its a mess again. Relax and don't beat yourself up, no ones house looks like a home and gardens magazine when they have small kids unless they have 2 maids LOL
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Food is only eaten in our kitchen. Seven is old enough to help pick up toys and his own belongings. Husband needs to help pick up his own darn clothes.
    Anonymous