Need to pack hospital bag!! What must have items are needed?

I don't know what gives... I make a to-do list often of things that I need to get done either that day (unload dishwasher, sweep floor) or sometime in the future (sort through boxes in garage, organize bed sheets). Packing a hospital bag has been on the list for over a month.

I am 37 weeks pregnant and for some reason I have not gotten it done! I have a four year old so I also need to pack a bag for him that he will take to my friend's parent's house.

Anyway - I am bound and determined to get it done before bed tonight... and I'm interested to hear what things you other mothers feel are necessary to bring, aside from the obvious, clothes, toiletries...??

enohp04

Asked by enohp04 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Toiletries, underwear, your own pads, comfy clothes to come home in, baby clothes and diaper bag, infant carrier, slippers, and my lifesaver was a cloth bag filled with rice that the nurses would heat up for me for back labor.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Pajamas, slippers, robe, shampoo, soap, lotion, camera, underwear, nursing bra, nursing pads, some movies (I dont care for daytime Tv shows lol), hair brush, pony tail holders, chap stick, and I also packed some snacks. We had an area we could keep cold drinks and snacks so we packed some "junk food" since I knew hospital food was gross.

Answer by gemgem at 2:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Have your 4 year old pack some of his fave toys and books to take with him. Get something small - a gift - from your newborn to give to your older son.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• With my first son I went all out! I had EVERYTHING! Second time around, I brought slippers, socks, underwear, some comfy pajamas, and either a book or a laptop with a couple movies (for me) a binky, a warm snuggly blanket, and a going home outfit (for baby). The hospital provides diapers, wipes, beanies, formula if needed, and just about anything else you might need for the baby. And of course they provide pads for you and a pair of net underwear in case you don't want to ruin your own.
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• this is how i did it (im a list freak!). i went thru my "get ready" routine & wrote down what i used: shower stuff, combs/brushes, deoderant, etc. then i went thru my nightly routine & wrote that stuff down: toothbrush/paste, face wipes, pjs. then i thought about the clothes id want: all comfy w/ elastic bands since you never know what size you'll be after delivery. then i went thru the baby's stuff: outfits, mittens, blanket, etc. then other stuff: laptop, ipod, camera, sudoku book, my DD's "from baby" present.

then i went thru my list and scratched out the things im not going to bother with...like most of my make up, my contacts, the 5 outfits i wanted to bring for the baby haha. then i packed what i could and left a note w/ the non-packable items sitting on top of the bag so i can grab those things real fast.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• oh! and if you plan on breastfeeding & have a feeding pillow, bring it!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Toiletires, sock and/or slippers, clothes for you and baby. I would highly suggest bringing your own pillow too. Makes things more comfortable. Maybe a couple magazines or a book. Once you are there, before the baby is born and you are in labor you may want something like that.. When my water broke and I had to go to the hosp my contractions werent that bad, but there isnt much you can do. May help relax you a little bit. Just an idea.. helped me a lot.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Let your 4 year old help you pack for him. Obviously clothes and stuff. But may be a few things like favorite toys or blankie if he has one. He will be missing mommy so stuff to make him feel more at home will help.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I vote for Okmanders lol. that seems alot more efficient.
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• They baby book to put baby prints in. I brought candies to suck on too.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2011