How do I make more milk?

This is my 4th child. The only one I've breastfed. Lately I've been making less milk instead of more. She's been getting more fussy and hasn't needed her diaper changed as often. I've been trying to pump after she nurses to bring my production up, but it doesn't seem to be working. If she isn't fully awake, she doesn't nurse very long, so usually if she's asleep and I fill up I pump. A week and a half ago I could pump 4 almost 5 oz. when full. Now I barely get 1 oz. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get my milk production up, I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink more water and pump more often to get your supply up.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• keep pumping. Pump after you feed. Try brewers yeast. Drink a beer. There are herbs to help aid w/milk supply, but they made my baby gassy.
    Drink lots of water.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• PUMP PUMP PUMP, try pumping at different times than you are now to see if the results are different. She sounds like my daughter was a "nipper/napper" - she would lazily nurse and drift off - I tried to keep her awake and get a good nurse session. Put everything aside and just concentrate on nursing her whenever she'll nurse - when you milk comes back then you can get back on a better schedule. If you have time sit and relax or take a warm shower/bath before nursing. When you are stressed out and ridid it impedes your milk production. I would try to sit quietly and breath to relax before I nursed and while (of course) - turn off TV and other distractions. I would also visualize liquid moving, a river flowing (whatever metaphor you fancy). The more you worry, the more you will stress. Try to relax and stick with it. You will find no end of people who will help you stop nursing - find the support you need to KEEP nursing
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Drink alot of water, eat well, massage your boobs a little, keep regular with the pumping
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• drink more water and keep pumping after feeding it will make your supply more.. the way nursing works is supply on demand the more the baby demands the more the body will make
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• also drink plenty of fluids and pay attention to what you are eating - garlic, onions and other things affect the taste of your milk. Are you eating something that is causing her to not nurse strongly? Just an additional suggestion.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Stop offering bottles. The more she nurses, the more you will make and the better she will become at nursing. I was told to drink so as to stay well hydrated. 8, 8 ounce glasses of water for you and the same amount on top of that to make milk for your daughter. I was told another 8 X 8 ounces as I was nursing twins. I found a consult with a lactation consultant that came to my home to be the best thing.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Thanks ladies. I've been trying to drink more water lately, so I'll try pumping more often too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Do you bottle feed at all? I would stop that if possible, at least any time that you are around.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't bottle feed her, but she does get a pacifier at bedtime or if I am driving. She would probably go without the paci though. I'd heard that babies that suck on pacifiers at night take in more air and it drops the chances of SIDS....so although none of my kids full out wanted pacifiers, they would take them at night.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2011