Foodstamp advice?

ive checked the internet and tried calling the number provided in my paperwork and cannot seem to get the answers i need. what can and cannot be purchased with my foodstamp card? i already know alcohol and tobacco products of any kind are out. however i thought virtually anything else at the store was acceptable, but the "snap" website threw me off. can non-food items at grocery stores be purchased, like diapers, batters, toilet paper, etc? hot or take and bake items? what are the can and cant's? anyone know because i can't find out elsewhere and i am about to go shopping today. thank you.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can get whatever frozen foods you want. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i do know anything already prepared is a no-go.
    DLCarter2011

Answer by DLCarter2011 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You can't purchase any non food items. So diapers, t paper, cleaning supplies are out. Thats all I know.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It is slightly different state by state on the hot and take and bake items. However, in most states that is a No. No to non-food items, however in most states you can buy veggie seeds or veggie plants to grow your own garden.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Nothing hot.  So say your at Walmart, you can purchase from the deli (ham salad, broccoli salad, deli meats, etc) but you can't purchase the hot chicken they cooked. A lot of gas stations around here will let you purchase GAS with your foodstamps.  Don't get caught up in that.  If all your getting is foodstamps, don't purchase anything other than food.  You get caught, you lose your stamps.  Bakery items that Walmart has cooked (such as bread and cookies) can be purchased with foodstamps.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• it has to be food items, can't be precookedfrom the delli
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• usually precooked foods are out such as chicken fingers from the deli counter ect. I'm not sure about cakes and pies though. I've bought cakes with mine in the past. No paper proucts such as diapers, paper towels ect. (unless it's changed).
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You can't get diapers ect, some energy drink, hot deli foods (cold deli foods you can) but practically anything else you can get.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The Walmart here doesn't let anyone purchase energy drinks with foodstamps but the same gas station down the road allows it.  I would agree and say no energy drinks just to be on the safe side.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• non food items and hot prepared food cannot be bought
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011