Zoloft and pregnancy...? the commercials are just lawyers trying to get cases...

I don't know if I should or shouldn't take my zoloft... The dr explained its the safest post-partum/anti-depressant to take during pregnancy - and I have been given very low dose. The dr said that the commercials on tv are lawyers ways of getting more cases - they do those commercials about all sorts of things.. He said its a risk/benefit decision.... I have to say - I am crazy off my meds. I neeeed them to get through the day. I have struggled with depression my entire life - and has been worse (post partum) since my 1yr old was born. I am about 6 weeks pregnant - and my dr says the benefits outweigh the risks for the meds.... What do you all think? Before I started my meds I was so crazy I was headed for divorce. It was bad. The med makes me normal. (as much as I hate to admit it) .....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Health

• With any meds there are risks associated with taking it during pregnancy. You have to weigh the potential risks with the benefits and decide what is best for your circumstances.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Zoloft is generally considered one of the "better" antidepressants to take during pregnancy and the risks, while there, are very low. Read all you can about the drug and its side effects. I suggest starting with the National Library of Medicine/National Institutes of Health MEDLINE database:
    http://vsearch.nlm.nih.gov/vivisimo/cgi-bin/query-meta?v%3Aproject=medlineplus&query=sertraline+pregnancy
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The hard part is the "benefits outweigh the risks" yes you could stop taking the Zoloft and eliminate the risks of using that but what risks would that put your one year old and your unborn child at. Many pregnant women who choose not to take antidepressants can end up doing something that is worse (Think about the recent news article about the Mother who drowned herself and 3 of her 4 children). If your depression is bad enough that you need the medications to stay "sane" it is better to stay on them. It is unfortunate that everything has to come down to litigation. Best of luck with either decision!!!

michcous

Answer by michcous at 5:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If taking the meds make u feel better than you should because think of all the stress you will be putting on the unborn baby. Plus your family needs a sane mommy.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 7:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Do some research online about pregnancy while taking Zoloft. Stay away from any sites that deal with lawyers and lawsuits.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i would do what you are comfy with, under the care of your dr
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i appreciateno one judging me. thank you ladies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2011