I just removed the crib bumpers from dd's crib

My daughter will be 5 months old in a week and can roll o ver, but rarely does it. Well, this morning I found her on her stomach RIGHT beside the bumper. So today I decided I must start doing tummy time more aggressively. Well, she kept rolling onto her tummy and then crying. Twice she rolled back over to her back, but not every time. SO . . . I'm freaked out and decided to take down the bumpers because they are rather thick, and I figure that even if she does bump into the rails, it won't be that hard because she isn't rolling super aggressively. In any case, I'd prefer my daughter with a boo boo rather than suffocated. How many of you mothers have actually had incidents where your children banged their heads or hurt one of their limbs between the bumpers? I know that there is no way in H*ll that I would be able to sleep tonight without removing the bumpers. Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated!!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You did exactly what you were supposed to; they should be removed once baby is able to roll into them. There is really no need for them, though, in my opinion, they make the crib feel a little more snug and secure for little babies.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Actually, it is recommended that you not put bumpers into a crib because of suffocation. I think you made the right choice.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• So I just went up to check on her and now I notice that there seems to be a space between the mattress and the rails maybe a half inch. SO . . . . I stuffed towels in there so that they are flush with the mattress. I thought everything was supposed to be standard sizes??
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I do know that most of the times there is some space between the rails and mattress. As long as she can't pull the towels out and get them around her head she should be okay. If it's just a half inch or smaller it should not pose a danger to her. Of course I'm sure there have been "Odd" accidents that have happened but I would say it would very rare.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I was scared to use bumper pads with my little girl, due to the fact she could roll over into them. But, she moved around so much she would end up with her little feet or hands outside of the crib at night. I found a website that has breathable crib bumpers. The bumper works well, and I would recommend them to anyone. Here is the link to the website:
    http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534464&cmSource=Search
    babybethsmom07

Answer by babybethsmom07 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Not to freak you out more, but the lady that lives right behind my house lost her son when he got caught right between the crib mattress and the crib like you were explaining. He was an infant and he couldn't move himself for obvious reasons and he suffocated. The lady that lives across the street from me told me that she was home that day and heard her scream when she found her son, and it was the most bone chilling scream ever. When I heard that story I went over every damn inch of my sons crib and made sure there was no way that could happen to him..But there was no spaces in his crib.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Well, I am now almost considering putting the bumpers back in, but tucked down between the mattress and the rails . . the only thing is I would have to cut it in half because the space isn't large enough for the bumper to fit the whole way around. Her father and I are going to really check it all out tomorrow. The towels are definitely secured in there, she won't be able to pull them out and they completely fill in the space, so I'm not scared about that, but I'm not sure I want it to be a permanent solution, because it looks rather tacky. Maybe tomorrow I will put them on the back side of the crib rather than facing outward where they can be seen. Thanks babybethsmom . . I will definitely look into the mesh bumpers!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my boys kept getting there arms and legs stuck in the crib ralling so at 15 months got really stuck. we had to break the crib now they are 17months...and been in toddler beds since 15 months... just keep checking on your lo.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Really. I figure they are there so that they don't get legs and arms stuck when they can roll around. Also if they can roll around so much then they probably can roll away from them if they can't breath.
    mamamia22

Answer by mamamia22 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Babies aren't able to consciously move themselves away from things for awhile after they start moving. Most can only roll in one direction for quite awhile, and that can get them into a lot of trouble if they rolled into something.

Most groups are advising against the use of bumpers at all anymore. Cribs today are made to prevent the injuries that children in the past fell victim to, especially crbis that are JPMA certified.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008