Boiled eggs for decorating on Easter...

How long do you boil eggs & how can you tell when to take them off stove? Do you put the water/eggs together in a pot?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I've always read it takes 12 minutes to boil an egg. Put eggs in pot..cover with water,throw in some salt.bring to boil...boil for 12 minutes. Have fun!

chick

kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i put mine in a pot with water about an inch above eggs bring to a boil and boil about 10 minutes. everyone does it a little diff though. but like 8tinkerboo8 said putting them in cold water will help make it easier when you peel the shell off later!!!
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 6:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Put eggs and cold water in a pan with about 1" water above. Put on Med and slowly bring to rolling boil. Once they boil turn burner off and move them to cool burner turn burner down to low and boil a few minutes. Take them off heat and put lid on let them sit about 12 minutes. Move eggs into a bowl you have waiting with ice water and submerge them in the cold water for a few minutes - this keeps the membrane from sticking when you peel them.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Exactly what 8Tinkerboo8 said...eggs, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, cover, take off heat, wait 10-12 mins.

And a huge tip if you plan to eat the eggs after, is to make sure you don't use very fresh eggs or they are very hard to peel. Use eggs that are a big closer to their expiration date.

I always make some delived eggs to serve on Easter with the colored eggs, and also a nice big batch of egg salad to munch on early in the week. Also my DD6 devours hard boiled eggs - but just the white part, lol. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think everyone will have a different answer to this. I've heard so many ways to boil and egg. I put the eggs in a pot, fill w/ water until about 1 inch above the eggs. Bring to a boil & boil for 3 minutes. Then take the pot off the burner, cover it w/ a tight fitting lid, and let it finish cooking for 8 minutes.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I cover them with cold water, bring to a full boil, boil for 10 minutes, remove from hot water and put into icy cold water immediately, then allow to sit while it cools the rest of the way. However, if they're going to be dyed, I don't allow them to cool all the way because they take the color better when they're warm.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 7:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I put both into the pot together and onc eit comes to a rolling boil, I cook for 20 minutes
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011