Public, Private, or Homeschool?

I'm making the biggest decision of my parenting life so far, what type of school to send my kiddos to. Pros and Cons of each, personal preferences, experiences, opinions would be great, Thanks.

Tallchic06

Asked by Tallchic06 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is really going to depend on the schools in your area. For my son, we chose public school because his school is awesome. I would do a few tours of the schools that your child may be going to, talk with some parents, and then make the decision from there.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I went to a private Catholic school until 6th grade, when I got to public school I was WAY more advanced then the rest of the children...so I'm thinking about also sending my DD to a private school....but I have nothing at all against public schools...I personally wouldnt homeschool though because I think it's important that the child have the whole school experience...nothing can take the place of school sports, dances, activities ect. Good luck choosing mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Public because we cannot afford private.. I love his preschool and wish I could continue sending him there, but I can't afford to pay for both kids to go, so... public it will be
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i do not believe in homeschooling. it isolates kids from the real world. 90% of home schooled kids lack any kind of social skills which negatively effects them as an adult. i hope i will be able to afford private school. less students means more "hands on" teaching and individual attention to each student. i went to private school. my graduating class consisted of 46 students and i graduated with an incredible education
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Honestly it's a PERSONAL choice and what works for me may not work for you. We homeschool-I really can't think of any cons to homeschooling. Sure people will spout off the common misconceptions like lack of socialization, etc. However those are misconceptions and not true for most homeschoolers. The benefits for us is being able to do "school' when and how we see hit. Our family has made trips here and there and the freedom to make those trips without having to worry about what they are "missing" in school is a huge blessing.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You've got to go with what you feel most comfortable with.

We send our kids to public school. Before we even got married DH and I planned to send our kids to public school, until we had a reason not to. Public school isn't perfect, but we are involved with our kids' educations outside of the school and stay involved in the school.

We're in a fairly good school system, but short of dangerous schools (like in the nearby city) we planned on sending the kids to public school, but keeping an eye on what the kids were/weren't learning and doing supplemental activities at home.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I've done homeschool and public.
    homeschool-you get to teach your child at your own pace,Lots of kids can skip grades, you can do lots of field trips, Bond with your child, moniter who they are around,I am a huge advicate for homeschool
    Public - We are going with public now, My son had isues with speech I tried but I needed help, Mostly it came down to ouir children having the whole package childhood. Both of these choices are great.It comes down to what is best with your family.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• meant "how see see fit". sorry for the mistype.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• To momofone725-I don't know where u get your info from about homeschooling but it is wrong! Don't write about things u don't know! Homeschooling is great my son got the best education!!!!! He graduated early too!!!!
    Anonymous

• My girls go to a private, all-girls school, non-religious. I went to a similar school when young and got a good education. . Their school is very good, no complaints .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011