Helping DD with Math. She cries when she isn't right.

DD is in 3rd grade and they are practicing multiplication and division. Her tests are timed so if she doesn't get them in a few seconds I move onto the next when we are practicing. Problem is she uses her fingers to try to figure it out and that takes too long. (She has 5 seconds in school to do the problem for each one) She needs to just memorize them. When she misses one she starts a crying fit because she can't stand to be wrong. But she won't do whats necessary to actually memorize them! Help?? How can I get through to her? When she gets really upset she just shuts down and won't work at all. I try to tell her to calm down and think but she doesn't.

What I do is let her study the problems for 20 mins whichever way she wants. (Normally she'll just say them in her head for 20 minutes). Then I call them out and she's to answer me quickly. This is where she has an issue. Then the ones she misses I have her write 10 times each.

I don't know what I can do to make her calm down and work the problem instead of just breaking down and crying because she missed one. All she says is "I don't know" . She doesn't even try to figure it out.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 3:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in

• *or what about a site that has games for leaning them?

I jsut did a search and got this one: http://multiplication.com/computer_games.htm

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Stop having her write them 10 times when she misses them. You are putting a lot of pressure on her to be perfect. This is a skill that just has to be pracitced. Have her recite them when you are in the car, have her quiz you and make mistakes so she can correct you and see that it is ok to make mistakes. She WILL learn the facts. My friends daughter is having this same problem and she was told to NOT push so hard. Just practice everyday, out loud. Don't harp on the fact that she misses some, just keep going. Remember the one she misses and keep throwing those in between the ones she does know. Praise her on the ones she gets right and for her effort.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Oh and her saying them in her head is not going to help. How do you know that is what she is doing? She needs to same them out loud. NO FINGERS.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't see how writing them is putting pressure on her. How else is she going to learn them if saying them aloud is what causes her to break down? That is where she feels the pressure.

As far as self study she can say them aloud herself. I just tell her to study any way she wants. It doesn't have to be quiet.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• She's frustrated ...what about flash card and make it into sort of a game-like activity?

jsut pull the ones she doesn't get and don't make a big deal out of it -tyr them again at the end
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I've made flash cards for her. Same thing. Anytime we quiz her ourselves she breaks down and starts crying when she misses one.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I've tried those too. She enjoys doing them but hasn't really helped improve her score. Its when she's under pressure to have them done in a certain time that is the problem.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• make them into songs?

other than that- maybe ask her teacher if she has any ideas
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I looked at the website Charlot. The ones we did were just simple online programs. Maybe a game like that will keep her attention more. I don't have the $ to buy it but they have a free version. can't hurt to try I suppose. Thx.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• there are other ones on that site that you don't have to pay for- that was jsut the page I happened to be on...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2011