What to do about my dogs "hot spots"

I just got two dogs from a rescue both are great dogs. One has what they called "hot spots" he seems to be "itchy" on his back end he will always back up to you so you will scratch him and then he will rub against the furniture to scratch himself. His skin is clear and clean no red spots or signs of irritation. The vet thinks its allergies and he is on a medication but still seems to be itchy. Has anyone had this problem with their dog and what did you do to get rid of it or at least provide the dog with some relief? He isn't bothered by it ALL the time but when you do rub him he goes crazy trying to keep itching the spot but he will lay down and be fine as though it doesn't bother him at all at other time???

sue118

Asked by sue118 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Pets

• One thing that really helped our poodle was skin so soft from avon. It gets rid of fleas and ticks as well as mousturize and help with itching. Try some, you may be surprised!
    WhiteTigerLily

Answer by WhiteTigerLily at 4:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Our golden retriever had them a few years ago. We had him "shaved", a very close hair cut. Our vet geve him some cream to rub on them. Keep them some water and shelter /shade.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 4:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Id look at his food first. Low grade ingredients like corn and byproducts often cause allergy reactions. Try switching to a better food. Try going to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and look at the 3 star or above foods. They have better ingredients and you'll see a marked improvement in his coat within just a few weeks. My dog has an allergy to corn. If she's on supermarket brand food her butt always breaks out and she'll start chewing everywhere.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• All very good suggestions. I think I will shave him down short (it will probably be more comfortable with summer coming anyway) and try the skin so soft too. I did switch his food, its amazing how so many dog foods don't have 'real' meat as an ingredient. We are using the costco brand - the first ingredient is chicken. Does any one else use this and what do you think of it. Or what other foods do you use.
    sue118

Comment by sue118 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I've heard only good things about Costco's brand (Kirkland) although I haven't fed it myself. I feed Taste of the Wild which is grain-free (some dogs have problems digesting any grains and this can cause skin allergies). It will probably take atleast a couple of weeks to see improvement after switching brands so give it time. If you don't see any improvement by the end of the bag, you may want to try grain-free. You can also add salmon oil to the food. Not only is it good for the skin & coat, it is also good for the heart & brain...just as it is for humans. Don't bathe too often or you will just dry the skin out and when you do bathe, use a good gentle, conditioning shampoo.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• What breed is your dogs? If they are double coated dogs then no it is not a wise choice to shave. Shaving will actually make them hotter. Please see this site about why you should not shave a double coated dog.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• As far as food the first 5 ingredients are the most important. If its lower down in the list the nutrients have been baked out of it. Costco's food is higher than Pedigree but not by much. It still has filler in it. Try a grain free food such as Taste of the Wild.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My Golden retriever had this problem. Many times she was still itchy long after whatever the issue was had cleared up. Fleas could be the culprit, if the dog had fleas at some point and was treated the dog could just still be itchy especially if the dog is allergic to the flea bite. You might try benidryl and if the dog continues to seem itchy you might ask the vet about prednisone. This is not a drug that I recommend the dog been on to often but sometimes it is necessary. My golden was allergic to pretty much everything but what I did was put her on California Natural dog food as well as a supplement called Nupro. I also kept her on Advantage year round because she was of course allergic to fleas. This made a huge differance, she stopped having hot spots and even ear infections all together. I still had to give her benidryl on occasion but because I had made those changes Prednisone was a thing of the past.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2011