Do weight percentiles over 50 % mean that your child is overweight?

My DD is 3, just had her check up today. She weighed 35 lbs, and it was listed as the 90th percentile. Does that mean that she's a little over weight? I would have asked the Ped. but they don't give you the information until check out.

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 4:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• The height/weight ratio is much more important than either of the number individually.

Answer by missanc at 4:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It depends more how the weight compares to height, if she's 90th percentile in weight but only 50th in height then maybe she is, but if your pediatrician didn't say anything then it's probably not enough to be concerned about at this point especially if she eats mostly healthy foods.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• 90th percentile just means that if there were 100 kids her age in a room, she would weigh more than 89 of them, and less than 10 of them.

Was her height over 50 percentile, too?

Generally, the doctor would let you know if she was worried about the weight to height relationship.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• That means that your child weighs more than the "average" child. If the height is also high then your child is most likely well proportioned.

My DD has never even seen the 5th percentile for weight or height. Does this mean that my child is underweight? By no means is my DD underweight.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• No always. My son is well over 100$ of both height and weight and he is a skinny baby. Just very tall
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• 100%*'
    mommy_of_two388

• It depends on the height. My 2 year old is WAY off the chart for both height and weight. He is within his normal weight range . . . just a few years bigger in size.
    The doctor is tell you if there is a concern.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2011