How do you do it?

I'm a single mom with 2 babies, and I dont know how not to be broke. If you have very young children (more than one), and you're not struggling, AND YOU ARE SINGL, how do you do it?(being on welfare doesn't count as not struggling cuz the state of new jersey keeps refusing to help me)

xmama_bellax

Asked by xmama_bellax at 4:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• why do they refuse to help you?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I was a single mom with 2 children. There were times when we were really broke and then some times when we could actually buy some fun stuff. I always worked a full time plus a part time job. You just learn to do without the 'fluff' and to live with the basic necessities. You take help when offered, you shop at thrift shops, goodwills, and garage sales, you don't waste anything especially food. You ask for help from your friends and your church and your family only when there is no other option. It's hard but it's doable. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I wish I had some advice, I struggled for about two years. I was on welfare for a short period but honestly got tired of dealing with it and decided I'd rather struggle than deal with the headache.
    I was really lucky that I had family to help with daycare and friends. I bought a lot of clothes for my son at garage sales, and I used clothe diapers to make ends meet. I did get WIC so I lived on peanut butter and jelly, tuna or egg sandwiches and used the money I did have to make sure my son had good food. Also I was very fortunate to find a small two bedroom trailer with utilies included for only $175 a month (the crappy part was it leaked and was falling apart but it kept us dry and warm).
    Is there anything you can cut out? Can you check with food pantries or churches for assistance? I only had one child at the time I'm sure two is very hard. Wish I had better advice. Good luck.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• :( well..i was a single mom of one for 7 years..it was tough..I can't imagine doing it with two.Just tell yourself where there is a will there is a way.Good Luck mama..hang in there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• When my SO and I broke up I tried but couldn't and wouldn't do it again if I can help it. I shopped at aldis for groceries and only ate enough myself to stay healthy so my dd had enough. That Christmas I asked for help from a church, and her preschool. I washed my clothes by hand.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 6:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2011