Need help! toddler girl, leaky diapers, carseat

My daughter is 20 months old. Every time we go on a long car trip that takes more than an hour, her diapers will leak through while she's in the car seat. I think that while she's strapped in the car seat, the diapers are pushed against her in a way that doesn't allow them room to absorb quickly enough.

We've tried using different types of diapers (larger size, overnights, etc), and we've tried using different car seats, but we've had no luck. We never had this problem with our son, so I'm wondering if this is common with other little girls, and if so, has anyone found a solution?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This has always been a problem for us as well (even with cloth diapers). We bought several carseat liners (pads that fit the seat and have cutouts for the buckles etc/ about $5 each) so that you can just pull the pad out and put a fresh one down. It keeps the carseat from stinking for the rest of the trip. Puppy Training pads also serve the same purpose. We also used the plastic/rubber training pants over top of her diapers to "slow the flow" so to speak. Hope this helps.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Maybe try to pull off the road half way there and change her diaper.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We use cloth, so it is an easy fix for me. I just add more inserts to the diaper. You could try something similar. They make disposable liners and inserts (you can get them at Babies R Us for use with the g-diaper system, which is a cloth outer and then disposable insides or washable insides, depending on your preference) that you could layer inside her disposable diaper. It would increase the absorbency and you would still be able to toss it once you get where you are going. Also, fleece pants work best to keep leaks off the car seat. You could put her in fleece pants in the car until you figure something else out. You may also want to look at just buying a cloth diaper cover to go over her diaper in the car to keep the leaks from getting out.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 4:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Switch to cloth.... I've never had that problem with cloth... otherwise... I don't know.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 4:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We've tried stopping to change her diaper, but unfortunately she could be completely dry or given a fresh new diaper and have it happen 10 minutes after we get her back in the car. We've also tried giving her a few minutes to run around when we stop for gas, but if she doesn't pee during that break, we have the same problem again. It's not so much that the diaper is getting too full, it's that it's not able to absorb quickly enough because of being in the car seat.

I may have to consider cloth. It would be very inconvenient because of the fact that this happens when we are traveling, and we don't always have access to a washing machine where we are going. I can't imagine lugging a bunch of soiled cloth diapers around with us for 3-5 days. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We have done a 4 hour trip and didn't have any issues. We use pampers baby dry. They work really well even for 14 hour nights.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2011