Why isnt a childs education important any more???

In my area school leaders ared trying to cut school weeks down to 4 days.. WTF are you kidding me. Its so sad that a childs education isnt a FIRST priority.. they say that they will make longer days and cut down feild trips as well and this will cut down the energ bills... how are they expecting parents to handle this when most people work 5 days a week.. and I know when I was in school that the school day is long enough.. I think the kids will be restless by the end of the day.. BUT OHHHHH the electric bill will be cheaper.. seriously.. (sry small vent)

kylansmommy09

Asked by kylansmommy09 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in

• My district is trying to get high school juniors and seniors and independent study students to go virtual to save money. We do the virtual thing with my son who now in second grade through a virtual academy designed to teach students k-12. The program the district is offering is a joke comparatively speaking and cuts back to the most basic curriculum with none of the EC activities at all. They can't afford to run the program the way it should be run. Kids shouldn't have to suffer to save money.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• that what ours was thinking about years ago but the make the other 4 days longer.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Several schools are doing this now. For the parents who work 5 days a week they will have to find care for their kids, I guess...School isn't intended to be free daycare.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• no one said it was... aquarius80

Also why can they use natural light instead of all the light in the classroom or maybe invest in solar pannels all the things gov. is doing to cut down the budget.. a childs education should not be an option..

kylansmommy09

Comment by kylansmommy09 (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't have a problem with that proposal. However I would be upset if they were to remove sports and art programs. Anytime they try to cut outlets and learning opportunities for kids it is harmful. Plus three day weekends for everyone would be sweet! My husband works 6-7 days a week, do you think they should increase the days kids go to school and cut down on the time they are there to try to accommodate his work schedule? Please read that in a sarcastic tone because it is not meant to be serious.
    Not all schools can use natural light because not all rooms have windows or enough windows. They can't invest in anything because they have no money to invest, they are making cuts. This proposal retains the quality of education.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• They want to go down to 4 days but kids go from 8-5. That way the schools can save money by turning off the heat for 3 days a week. My district wants to lower graduation requirements for high school. They want to cut credits from math, science and social studies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• thats horrable tyfry496 :(
    kylansmommy09

Comment by kylansmommy09 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• mrs.coop i understand were you are coming from but an investment WILL save money down the road
    kylansmommy09

Comment by kylansmommy09 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011