Did Anybody see Oprah Today? Do you pay attention?

Today was a follow up on a story from 2000 where a 6 yr old boy was locked, chained in closet and abused by bio bad and step mom. Now as a 19 yr old He said he wants people to pay attention- if you see a kid and then they just disappear he wants people to question that. Do you pay attention to things like this? Have you ever felt uneasy about something and not followed up or done nothing? A good thing for us all to remember as moms. It was so very very sad.

Oh yeah - the scumbags that ruined his life served less than 2 years in jail - for RUINING another human beings life.......

Bump this if you think those despicable humans should have served life for abusing a child, locking him in a closet for days, without food, water, for wiping poop in his face/mouth, for urinating on him for soiling himself..........UNBELIEVABLE someone would get under 2 years AND a GED for this.  Makes me sick.

8Tinkerboo8

Asked by 8Tinkerboo8 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oprah hasnt come on yet here in California but I seen the commercial for it and I have every intention of watching....to tell you the truth I don't really pay attention to the kids in my neighborhood but I definatly will be now
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I am watching it right now. But, they should have gotten way more than they did. If that happened now, those "parents" would have.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I haven't watched it, but that's ridiculous! I can't believe they served less than 2 years for that. It should have been life in prison.

BUMP
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 5:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I've lived in my apartment complex for 7 years and know most of the kids. There are a bunch of us who watch for things. I've never seen kids disappear but we notice have noticed a lot of abuse. I try to help the children who are being hurt like this one lady here her husband killed himself so she had to go to work. She had her 12 year old watching the other two boys. Well he used to lock them out and let them in when she was supposed to be home. (I think it was his way of dealing with the hurt). Well we noticed when we would sit down for dinner at our patio table they would watch us eat. So for a while I was just serving them since they usually played with my daughter. Then the youngest almost got hit so someone called CPS (child protective worker). She got the help she needed.thankfully.

My bf and I were talking about how the justice systems sentencing is messed up. My step father abused us for 9 years and he got 2 years
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 5:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• BUMP. People sometimes are suspicious but "they don't want to get involved"....I hate that attitude. I certainly would do something if I suspected a child was being treated that way---disappeared with no explanation.
    How horrible. They should be in jail for life.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I wanted to hear from the social worker that said he/she went to the home and said there wasn't a problem and the boy should be left there

Answer by admckenzie at 7:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Wow are you seriously!?!??! That poor boy. I hope they got treated like they treated him.... I can't believe they only got 2 years.... wow the justice system really screws up. That's just like how my ex got dismissed on all charges for DV even though I had proof he beat me for 3 years.... discusting
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It makes me sick that people act that way and are punished more harshly. bump
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• sick
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I also hate the I didn't want to get involved.....take notice and report something to a hotline anonamously!
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011