My sisxteen year old skipped school on Friday the last day before spring break. I told the school there is no excuse so they marked for this day.

What do you think I should do? I suspended her phone and suspended service on her Ipad2 until eight tonight. She told me she was going to skip school altogether so she didn't lie to me.

samif

Asked by samif at 5:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• What did you say to her when she told you she was going to skip school? Did you tell her not too or tell her the consequences if she did skip?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You already punished her. If she keeps skipping, you can call the truant officer and have her arrested. She will be given a ticket and made to go to school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I said there would be consequences but I didn't say what.
    samif

Comment by samif (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• There ya go. You told her there would be consequences.....you really want to teach her - suspend service to that ipad until after spring break and take power cords to all electronics like TVs and computers.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If it is not a regular thing then I would not worry about it. I was a AP student with a great GPA but it was nice to just take a day off. I know that might not be the popular belief but I would keep an eye and make sure that she does not make it a regular habit.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• At my daughter's school, this would be an in school suspension; I would let the school handle this...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I am letting the school handle it. You guys keep me grounded, I did turn her phone off all day but as it got late I turned it on around six. I was not able to contact her.
    Like melbornej says it's only a day off. We all need that!
    samif

Comment by samif (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think you did fine. Kids need to know that there are rules and consequences. I agree with some of the others, let the school handle it.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• The only time I allowed my sons to skip school was on Senior Skip Day. Otherwise not going to school was never an option. Had my child told me they were going to skip and I told them that they weren't or they'd be grounded and they did any way then there'd be serious consequences. Spring Break would be the most boring time of their life.
    Anonymous

• just be careful love don't let her run you. she's a child and she needs to be in school not skipping. skipping for what anyway. you spare the rod you spoil the child. your doing good by taking away her phone continue to do that for more than a day and keep her home she can't see friends for a couple of days she wants to continue to skip that's fine give her tons of chores at home on the days she wants to skip(don't overwork her though) continue this each time she skips or until she gets the message if that doesn't work then call the truancy officer because if you continue to let it go on you could be fined and even have jail time (if your laws are the same as the ones here.) Be blessed Jesus loves you and I do too.
    jenkinswife2011

Answer by jenkinswife2011 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2011