How can I deal with my stepson?

Im have a 9 year old stepson my husbend had joing custodie and now hey does not want to spend time with us but he said it's because of my kids and he keeps lying about everything.he just wants to be with hispana mom

Yaya989

Asked by Yaya989 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just be consistent with visitation, love, affection, and discipline. Most kids with multiple families go through some type of rebellion against one family or the other. Just be patient.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My stepson is 17 now and we have been going through the same type of issues. I know it sucks and it isn't fair to anyone, but being a blended family really ISN"T the ideal situation either. Just try and be patient and make sure to stick up for yourself and your children. Best of luck to you.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The best advice I can give is to stick with the agreed uponed custody, having him every time you are supposed to. He does not understand the damage and hurt his lies are causing. My boyfriend and I are dealing with this issue currently and have periodically over the years. In our situtation (which could also be happening to you) the mother is manipulating her son. He is afraid to tell her he wants to stay with us more...so he does the opposite. Then he comes to us and complains about his mom. We started ignorning the child's bad attitude and have seen some improvement.
    TereseM

Answer by TereseM at 11:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2011