How can I shop for food and get the most for a good budget? Stocking up?

I am a family of 3 right now and pregnant. We seem to eat so much because we don't go out to eat as much as we used to. I am a stay at home mom now so what foods should I make, and what about for lunches and snacks? I can't believe how much food has gone up it's crazy!

You used to be able to get a whole cart full for 100 dollars now it costs 200 dollars for my family. Any ideas of what to cut out, what not to buy? I need some good advice!

I don't use coupons because I shop at winco.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I don't know what Winko is but if they have store brand options go with those over the name brands. That alone has saved me hundreds of dollars in the past 4 years I have been doing it.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Thank you mrs.coop
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Good question.

i watch the circular, i concentrate on that, and just those particular items, until stocked. especially name brand products MEAT [IN MY SUPER] IS USUALLY BEING MARKED DOWN AFTER 7PM, AND ON MON OR FRIDAYS. Dollar stores some food items are worth it. Good thing for me is I don't have to go out of my way from store to store-new items are cheap if the are useful, try then stock up before the price go up. large bags of cheap chips, cookies will work with a good ice cream. experiment if u buy these items and see what works.
    AMMA554

Answer by AMMA554 at 8:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Dried lentils and beans are healthy budget stretchers. Water should be your family's primary or sole beverage. Use cloth napkins and towels instead of paper.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, simple, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Get the store brand for everything. If you have a Walmart in your area, pick up all the ads from the competitors (Albertson's, Brookshire's, Kroger, even the ethnic super markets) and shop using those ads. Walmart will meet ALL of those prices.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Shop generic, and shop in bulk.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I shop store brands and watch circulars. We eat leftovers for lunches and I try to make sure nothing gets wasted.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2011