I have a problem getting my sixteen year old to talk to a phsychologist

We took a break for a year and she has been acting out so we need to start up again. Any suggestions?

samif

Asked by samif at 5:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I had this same problem and you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. We were in and out of therapy all throughout her childhood and she got very good at telling them what they wanted to hear. At the end of the day you can't force her to talk. Keep trying to find someone she likes, hopefully one person will break through. We never had success....so I feel your pain. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Try setting up something like couples counseling. Where it is the BOTH of you that go. She may feel better not being the only one.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• What problems is she having exactly? Is it normal teenage stuff or something more serious? She is probably embrassed about having to see a psychologist. Is there any way to have her talk with a mentor rather than a psychologist?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• That's what we were doing before. Good idea I forgot.
    samif

Comment by samif (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Just teenage problems right now. I don't want them to grow into serious problems. She is always mad and has a terrible temper.
    She has warned of cutting herself, not eating to loose waight , you know peer problems. Regular teen problems. She has not started drinking, smoking pot or having sex yet. I just want her to speak to someone to keep her a little grounded.
    samif

Comment by samif (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• There was a time when my son would have benefitted from counseling. He refused to go and told me he wouldn't talk if I made him. So, I made an appointment to go to a counselor by myself. I talked to him about my son's issues and he guided me on how to best support him and how to respond to certain behavior. It really helped plus modeled for my son (who didn't know I went to talk about his issues) that there's nothing wrong with seeing a psychologist.
    cege

Answer by cege at 7:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Good idea, about going myself. I also like the idea that she likes who she speaks with. Thanks
    samif

Comment by samif (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Try family counseling and you can't force someone to talk to a counselor. They have to want the help and not be pushed into it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I wouldn't take her if she isn't going to respond to treatment. Its a waste of your time and money. You could go for yourself, but the bottom line is that as long as she lives in your house, you hold all the cards as to what she is allowed to get away with and what she is not. If she claims peer pressure, maybe she doesn't need to hang out with those peers. In other words, no activities other than school. Monitor computer and phone usage.
    gbrewster

Answer by gbrewster at 8:39 AM on May. 17, 2011

• i dont know sorry
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 12:12 PM on May. 20, 2011