Do you think food prices have gone up?

Can you believe how much food costs these days? How often do you go grocery shopping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it, I know it along with everything else. It's crazy. I try to go twice per month but we spend a fortune on a small family - I can't imagine what large families are dealing with.
    Anonymous

• Once a week. I spend $50 or less, including non-food items. The more processed crap you eat, the more you notice the price increases, because that's where the increases are exponential. If you cook from scratch, the changes are negligible aside from the normal seasonal increases (eggs go up before easter, etc).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Food prices have def. gone up. A 4-pack of butter went from about $6.50 less than 6 months ago to about $10.50 yesterday. Milk fluctuates, but is over $3 consistently. I anticipate that going up until it just surpasses the price of a gallon of gas. It usually does.

I shop in bulk, so little changes in prices per pound or per count are very easily seen when a bulk pack jumps a few dollars.

And salmon? I love you, but at $24 a pack we will remain infrequent indulgers!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I KNOW they have gone up! Then they try and trick the gullible people by saying it's a by 1 get 1 sale and the cost of one item is really the cost of 2 when they arnt "on sale" Who do they think they are? I have planted a garden this year 10 times bigger than last year and plan to do allot more canning to lower my food costs, and I can afford to buy what I like but ti's the principle to me. NO need to rape the average buyers on prices.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Milk fluctuates, but is over $3 consistently.

Not to totally derail this question - but people in states that have price fixing laws on dairy REALLY need to get after their state congresses to revoke those. I just got home from the store 20 minutes ago, and picked up milk for 2.50/gallon. That's about the max I'll pay for it, and it normally fluctuates between $2 & 2.50. There's a discrepancy because some states have laws that set a minimum price floor on dairy products as a perk to dairy farmers. Those are the states where milk is hitting $3 and $4/gal.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• NEVER....lol i don't ever go to the grocery store. My husband is the manager at our local grocery store so he does all our shopping. Yes, I know prices have gone up, hubby does most of the price changes at the store.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I know where I live in Washington Sate we have a grocery store called Winco and you save lots more money then anywhere else even cheaper then Walmart but still many prices have gone up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'm aware of price increases, and they're only going to go higher--along with the price of gasoline! Get used to it...numbers from unemployment to essentials to entertainment...will be the new base or "standard" from here on out!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• YES -- and with the INFLATED prices -- we are getting DEFLATED quantity! Which means -- more for less.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• – collapse
    SURPRISE! Food prices go up on a regular basis. WHat a shock!
    When I was first married, hamburger per pound was 29 cents. Bananas 9 cents a pound. ETC. If you think prices will always stay the same, you are deluded. Get used to it. Everything goes up. I could fill the tank of my first car,a 1965 Mustang, for about $5.00.
    I think you need to calm down.And get with reality.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 (hidden) + expand