After you wean from the breast, how long does a "normal" cycle take to return? adult content

Weaned my baby at 20 months. Never got a cycle the whole time, aside from the after birth bleeding. Exactly one month later after I stopped, I had the most heaviest & painful period ever. I was wearing two pads at once & soaking thru them within an hour. That cycle lasted 9 days. The next month, about 10 days ago, I got my cycle but it was so light that it was just like stained discharge when I wiped after using the bathroom. It lasted 3-4 days. Is this normal for after you restart? How long does it take to return to normal?

since_3.18.93

Asked by since_3.18.93 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Health

• Oh you are lucky I had my period the whole time I was breastfeeding. Anyways I would think that it would take a few months for your cycle to regulate. It has been out of sync for a year and a half so I don't think it will get back to normal qukly. I would imagine a few months.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I have to admit that I didn't miss it at all LOL
    since_3.18.93

Comment by since_3.18.93 (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think it takes a couple of months to regulate but of course it varies with everyone.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Not sure. I nursed until 27 months, but I got my period back at 10 months.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't even remember.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i've always gotten AF back while nursing... it was normal from then on
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• my period didnt come back untill my son was five months and i lost so much blood i was light headed. it went away though. i think its just your body trying to clear itself out after everthing. if it continues to happen id call the dr though.
    adriana1024

Answer by adriana1024 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 16, 2011