If you wouldn't give your baby a drink of alcohol, why would you drink while pregnant?

Many people believe that a drink here and there isn't harmful while pregnant. Well will you give you baby a drink here and there? There is no difference. So why take the chance and drink while pregnant? There is no evidence to show how much will effect your baby. That simple glass you had that one time could effect the baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree with you, but people are free to do as they see fit with their own body's. It's a form of abuse if you drink while preggo. Thats just MY take on it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I never drank while I was pregnant. I was too worried about what that one drink could do to my son. I know they say it is ok to have a glass of wine, but I just didn't want to take a chance.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 5:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• So why take the chance and drink while pregnant?

Because any intelligent doctor will tell you it's safe to have an occasional drink, just as it's safe to have an occasional drink when you're not. You realize this is one more of those rules that only exists here, not in the rest of the world, just like circumcision? Are you suggesting all Europeans, Asians and South Americans are born with FAS?

It's a shame the sanctimommies who obsess over pregnant women having a glass of wine at a party one time, typically have no problem shoveling their kids full of chicken nuggets, pop tarts and apple juice once the kid is out. Wonder which behavior is really doing more long term damage.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Dont you just wish you could read that persons mind, for just a moment??!! I know someone who has smoked and drank through two pregnancies. Im not close enough to her to voice my opinions, but I defiantly judge her from afar. :( Its just so sad.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree you 100%!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I had three healthy ,very intelligent children years ago and I occasionally drank a glass or two of wine or a beer.
    If a woman drank two or three every day,there is a chance it could hurt her baby.
    It is up to everyone to ask their Doctor and do what they think is safe and healthy.
    To say that you NEVER drank and to spin the reply to make women feel guilty and make YOU feel perfect is unfair.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Don't you just wish people would worry about themselves instead of what everyone else does? NO ONE is perfect. Unless your life is PERFECT, then don't comment or judge anyone else's life.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree too. I don't even like taking as much as tylenol even though the dr says it is ok lol. Only because you really don't know how much the baby is getting. Thats like I was on this med before getting pregnant with my first the dr told me it was ok to take, but I couldn't take it because it made me sick. I decided to just not take it and now on the tv I seen if you took that meds while pregnant and your baby has a birth deffect to call this number. I don't even smoke cigarettes while pregnant all 3 (on my third) I smoked and as soon as I found out so I stopped smoking although a few months after they were born I started back up, but I am hoping to not go back after this baby
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• http://news.discovery.com/human/alcohol-drinking-pregnant-women.html
    It turns out that you can have a drink now and then and be just fine
    Rosehips62

Answer by Rosehips62 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Oh people get over this already. One glass isn't enough to hurt your baby and remember that it is NOT the same as feeding your baby the alcohol directly. Doing drugs on a daily basis will have an effect yes but an occasional drink does not. It is not enough in your freaking system to even make a dent in the reproduction of your baby.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011