What would you do if your college instructor keeps you from clinicals?

I was suppose to do clinicals at a local pharmacy. i have been a customer there for early 12 years and sorta know the staff there. When I went in to do my paperwork for clinicals everything went fine, i talked to the pharmacy manager and owner/lead pharmacist. i signed the hippa statements and such they gave me my hours and i thought everything was good to go until the night before i was suppose to start clinicals the instructor calls and says i cant do clinicals there cause i have tattoos and piercings.( eyebrow and snake bite piercings and one tat on my chest and 2 tats on my back, that tats can only be seen if i wear a speg strap tank top or very very low cut shirt, neither of which i would wear in public. and dont always wear my lip piercings since its hard to eat with them in, the eyebrow ring is small and cant be seen when i wear glasses) when i did my paperwork neither person at the pharmacy said anything about my piercings(i wore a pin striped dress suit and white button up dress blouse when i went in tats could NOT be seen) the instructor said they said cause im pierced and tattood i cant do clinicals, the pharmacy at that time said talk to my istructor about it. well i went in today to get my son's meds and both techs had lip piercings, same as mine...snake bites but bigger gage. i said the the pharmacist oh i thought u didnt allow piercings, he said oh we dont mind them. come to find out that it was my instructor who pulled me out of clinicals cause of my piercings and tats. i live in an area that just about every where you go at least one person has piercings and/or tats. the instructor herself is against them. she made it so i had to drop out of school with 2 months left cause without clinical hours i could not graduate. i borrowed 10k in student loans to pay for my college and its all for nothing. im so frustrated and dont know what i should do, she had no right to pull me out of clinicals esp since i hardly ever wear the piercings and tats are easily covered.... and i wasnt the only one, another girl in my class has tats and piercings and she had to drop too cause she couldnt get a site because the instructor wouldnt allow her too....your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm flaming just reading that!! No way would I let that slide.
    lynnsey13

Answer by lynnsey13 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Go to the dean of the school or to the president of academic affairs and file a complaint.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You report your instructor to the Dean of students.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would be DEMANDING an explanation from the instructor and or DEAN of your school Possibly even calling the ACLU. There's a law suit in here I think.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You need to go to the Dean ASAP. That is discrimination.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If I didn't get immediate satisfaction from the instructor I would be going to administration and filing a formal complaint. If the piercings were an issue you should have been advised the first day of class.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• you didn't need to drop out. just go above your instructor and get it approved.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The usual rule for clinicals is if the tattoos and piercings can't be seen, it's fine. The school sets the policies regarding dress code, so what the pharmacy thinks isn't relevant. You shouldn't have dropped out, you should have gone to the Dean of Students to file a grievance against your instructor.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2011