Does anyone feel that their Dr's office is making addditional appointments to increase the amount they can charge insurance companies?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 6:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Health

• I definitely think that a lot of the appointments are unnecessary. I think most of the "rechecks" and "followups" are bogus...especially for something that you can obviously check at home (i.e. instead of an automatic recheck in 1 week, why not just a "if he isn't doing better after the antibiotics, come back in").

More than that, I think that the testing is excessive. My children are "underweight" but completely healthy and active and eat well...why do they need sweat tests and blood draws and all that jazz? They don't. I fell for the hocus pocus with my first child, not so much with my second. I just smile and nod and tell them no thank you.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• a lot of these doctors MUST see a certain number of patients based on their contract with insurance companies - they are fighting rising costs (yes they are also part of the problem) so in turn must see more patients. Simple answer - yes but it is so much more complicated than that.
    Anonymous

• I haven't seen that happening here in the Twin Cities ...my daughter works for a large hospital and she hasn't seen it either.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I used to then I found a good doctor who fixes me the first time so no need for return visits unless it's for something else

Answer by admckenzie at 6:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Not my dr.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Nope, my doc will often tell us NOT to come in and give us suggestions over the phone. Sometimes he even calls in a script if he's sure what it is (ear infection for example).
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Doctor no, but dentist, omg yes! I made 4 appointments, one for each of my kids. Told them 2 were new patients, 2 were checkups and one of the checkups had a cracked tooth and needed to be seen soon.

So appt #1, new patient, they did the exam/cleaning, found a couple cavities, said he had to come back to have them filled. Went back, and she'd only do 1 - "to get him used to it". So it'll take 3 appointments to get him done.

Appt #2, checkup with the cracked tooth. Took over an hour to get her back in the first place, then all they'd do was pull the tooth (baby tooth when adult coming in right behind it). No checkup, no cleaning, nothing - then said at the end "well you should have said something earlier, we could have done that while she was waiting" - um, I did, when I made the d*** appt! So she has to go back a 2nd time.

The other 2 kids are next week - I'm afraid to see how many more appts come out of that one.
    Anonymous

• I go to the doctor if it's an emergency and I can't self-medicate. I made an appointment with a new pediatrician and everything is fine. I'm hoping to make a dental appointment for her and me soon. I also need to find an OBGYN so that I can get my yearly taken care of.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• no, not my dr
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The problem is I have a huge deductible that I probably will never meet. Therefore, all these extra visits are on me. Even if the insurance pays, we ultimately pay for the additional insurance costs.
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011