How have we, as a species, survived?

The big hot-button issue today - not being able to tell the difference between a woman who drinks one glass of wine in 9 months and a woman who drinks 5 glasses a day - is only an issue in the US, and really only came up about 20 years ago. Around that time, btw, it was also fatal to eat an egg, and they altered the USDA guidelines to tell people that for the best nutrition they should make 50% of their diet all carbs.

So why is it, as science and medicine go on, and we see that no, eggs aren't lethal, and yes, eating all those corn products is a horrible idea, people adapt, but they absolutely refuse to accept changes in other aspects, like the determination that women can drink alcohol and that in small amounts it's a good thing? Those aren't the only issues, either. Look at SIDS and the 10,000 contortions people will put their baby through based on nothing more than how old their personal edition of What to Expect is.

Science changes. Medicine changes. Why is it mothers and expectant mothers as a demographic are stubborn to the point of stupidity above and beyond all other groups?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I hear ya but have no clue why. Maybe because they are close minded? I am not sure but I always went with the motto that change happens and we either adapt or we get lost
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Oh I wouldn't say it is only mother/expectant mothers that are stubborn to the point of stupidity - I think you can make that argument for any group who fervently believes something. To answer your question - I have absolutely no idea - comparing feeding a baby alcohol directly to drinking one glass of wine is moronic - I saw it before and just didn't even comment. It is amazing as a species we just keep on plugging along. I believe humanity will be but a blip in the universe when all is said and done.
    Anonymous

• People do what instinct and education tell them to do if they are really intent on doing the right thing.
    . And asking questions and being informed. Its not just going "blah blah blah"or following the crowd with the latest 'fad' or rumor .
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I have absolutely no idea - comparing feeding a baby alcohol directly to drinking one glass of wine is moronic - I saw it before and just didn't even comment. It is amazing as a species we just keep on plugging along. I believe humanity will be but a blip in the universe when all is said and done.

Answer by Anonymous 5 minutes ago
    .*********************
    It WAS moronic. Must be a young and insecure Mom who is looking for a way to boost her ego. Or she's just moronic. LOL.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think that people are scared of harming their children. It is hard to get past the idea of "oh...it used to be dangerous, but now all the sudden that research is bogus and its safe?"

Like the alcohol for example...if they suddenly said "drink all you want" I would wonder wtf changed all of the sudden...and also I'm sure they are weighing the options of not doing those things even though they're "safe"...i.e. I don't NEED to drink while I'm pregnant. I can find other sources of protein than egg (not that I follow that one...but kwim?)
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think a lot of people just don't know what to believe. I've researched things MANY times and then found such conflicting information and studies. One doctor or expert says one thing, another says something else. Sometimes, if you don't know where to look for the proper information, you can end up not knowing the real facts. And then there are the people who just don't care and simply accept and believe what they've "always heard". Granted, some of them I don't necessarily blame. My MIL gives horrible advice safety-wise. She told me to lay my son on his stomach, recommended putting him to bed with TOAST when he wouldn't go to sleep on his own, and tried to give him bottles of straight water when he was 3 weeks old. She was always taught by her doctors that these things were fine. I, growing up in a different generation, have been taught the most up to date information. Now she does, but she had no reason to before.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• And then...there are the people, even when presented with the proper information, would rather dispute it than admit that they were previously wrong. It's one thing to be ignorant, but it's entirely another to be content with being so for pride.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think more to the point is what is best for you personally. Sure medicine and science change. I still make the personal choice to NOT drink anything while pregnant...just my preference. I let my kids sleep on their tummy's too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well, we just muddle through and ignore the "experts."
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• hello i think with age comes wisdom and if we all could tell people about whats good and bad for them than all of us would know this along time ago and we would nt have to be worried about all this stuff people are telling us about this or that drug or food isnt good dont eat this or that.well is there a site were all of us can go to find all about how we could help each other online through phone calls or mail to really know what if any how many wine drinks one could have or eggs or anything for that matter ,i mean when we were kids no on told us like oh that pill for a headache will make you throw up or that wine will mess up your new born . so were is all the right advice for all of us .i would like more info thank myself much love and peace from dawn.
    sunshine961

Answer by sunshine961 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011