What do i do when my son just doesnt listen to me. i dont believe in smacking any suggestions?

Climbing on high things, taking his drinks and pouring them on the carpet, running out in the road, he wants to play in the middle of the road

Jayne1980

Asked by Jayne1980 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried Time Outs?
    Taking his favorite Toys away?
    Time Outs always worked for us. :)
    Good Luck.
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 12:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Stay right on him at all times and show him his boundaries (especially the road thing) My toddler likes to do the same, but she gives up when she sees I won't allow it and I just pick her up and move her back where I want her.
    Anonymous

• well I would just sit him in time out. Depending on how old he is you could take away some privliges. And dont give him drinks unsupervised. As far as running in the road I had that problem with my 17 month old whne the summer started and I just quit taking her outside with the other kids and then when I started taking her back out, I havent had a problem since!! Hope that helps.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I had the most strong willed child ever!!! Now she has one just like herself.. it's kind of funny.. but I don't see her being as strict with her daughter as I was with her... I like the previous answer.. stay on him at all times.. It can be frustrating, but he will break...he needs to know that you are in charge!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i u belived in smacking i would say do that but u dont so it is time for some time out
    ADENSMOMMY123

Answer by ADENSMOMMY123 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Both of my two year old sons tend to be strong willed. Is this more of a boy thing? One responds well to time in a corner or a strong scolding. The other is a bit onery and I often feel at my witts end. I have noticed that he tends to act worse for me than for others. I think he already knows how to push my buttons. If he's acting up when my hisband's home, I tend to let him handle it. All of the kids seem to respond better to him. I am not sure if it's the deepness of his voice or that he's not around as much, but he gets results more quickly than I do. Not sure if I helped at all, but you're not alone!!
    Alyssia3777

Answer by Alyssia3777 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• this is what i do:
    1. tell her 2 times;
    2. count to 3, and tell her if i get to 3 she is going to time out.....usually shes there by #2;
    3. BUT if not, the i bought a beanbag chair and a timer. she knows that if i get to 3 she is going to sit in that chair. she will cry but just ignore them. everytime she gets up, it starts over.....and tell them that. its 1 min for every yr. after timer goes off, i make her sit down and tell me she is sorry for whatever is is she did. she says "mom, im sorry for ..." and " i wont do .... again". then i have them give me a hug/kiss and we are good. i think ive had to repeat all steps only once or twoce....but it works for katy! good luck!
    Crystal_N

Answer by Crystal_N at 4:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2008