My kid keeps try to steel things

How do I brake my kid from steeling? this is the 3rd time in less then about 6 months time. I make her take it or give it back. she gets mad and says I am so embarrassed.. I am the one who is embarrassed. I do not know how to brake her of this habit. It is not something we do in my home. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How old is she?
    If she's 7+, tell her next time, you're going to call the police. And see if an officer will just scare her a little bit.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• One of my friends went through this. What she did was call the cops, not in a way to take them off. She just called the police office ande asked them if they could send someone out to scare he daughter. They sent someone out to her house and the officer talked with her daughter. She has not taken anything since then and that happened back in July.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 7:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• When I stole gum, I think I was like 6/7ish, my mom caught me. I had to write an apology letter to the store manager, including why stealing the gum was wrong, why I had done it, my apology statement, and how I would make sure it never happened again. I had to hand deliver the letter to the store manager, along with the remaining gum, and was told by my mom that if the manager wanted to call the police he had every right, and she'd support him. I realize now that was a scare factor, but lord I didn't then. I'm 24 now and I can not tell you what that manager looked like, but I can tell you exactly what I was wearing and feeling that day, and I never stole anything again. Depending on the age of the child you may need to involve the police just to talk to them, or require the apology letter. She should be embarrassed, I'd inform her of that too. Her behavior is very embarrassing and wrong.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• That sounds like a good idea. I would also make her do extra work to pay back the money.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 2:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would threaten to call the police. Make your child take back ANYTHING they have taken right to the store.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• have a police officer come and talk to her and let her know what the consequences are for stealing and lying
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2011