My 7 week old son has a cold he caught from his big brother. He is gagging and coughing from the congestion. I use the nose thing to help but its not helping much. What can I do to help him sleep besides sit up in a chair all night.

seven week old baby sick with congestion and coughing

melissab1998

Asked by melissab1998 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put Vapo-Rub on his feet and cover them with socks. It works wonders! Use a humidifier. Poor little guy. Good luck
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Humidifier for sure! And maybe a nice bath before bedtime as well.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My dd got that around 3 months old. It was horrible. She would gag so bad it was as if she couldn't breath. It scared me I could not leave her side for 2 days. She even threw up really bad. Long story short the dr. on call told me to take her to the er. I had to give her an inhaler and some kind of liquid cough medicine I think. I feel for you. It's aweful!
    mamamia22

Answer by mamamia22 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If he is struggling to breath (his chest goes inward as he breathes & rapid breaths) call the doctor or and go to the er.  At 7 weeks breastmilk would be your best cure.  It will keep baby hydrated and it carries all those great immunities.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I am breastfeeding him.. I had heard about using breast milk in his nose to help congestion.. How would I do that and does it really work?
    melissab1998

Answer by melissab1998 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• You spray a bit in each nostril like you would with saline spray. Kind of a funny visual but just get a bit up there. Another nice way is to sit in a warm bath and breastfeed. It works as a humidifier, relaxes both of you and makes it easy for baby to breathe and feed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2008