I hate you grrrrrr

Does anyone else get this when you tell them no?

preciouschild

Asked by preciouschild at 6:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• yes but they arent teens yet and i just heard it today from my 4 year old cause i wouldnt let him go outside.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• There are some phrases that are instant mandatory punishment in my house. I did it with my boys, I do it with the grands. THAT particular phrase will get you a week of extra chores and if you are over 12 an essay on your poor choice of words. I always told my kids you may not like my answer, and you can be angry all you like BUT you will NOT speak disrespectfully to the adults who provide for your needs as well as some wants. Slamming doors, hitting walls or breaking bric a brac also fall under this. You get in this twens face and let them know they have gone way too far and it isn't going to be tolerated.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Not yet. I dont use that word around my kid so they havent picked it up yet
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The four year old would be told that is a very ugly thing to say to Mommy and sent to timeout and would have to apologize.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I tell them it's ok that they hate me but the answer is still no. They need to learn to cope with their anger. They use that to guilt us in to giving in. We should know that they hate what we said or did. They don't really hate us.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• apologize? for what? having feelings? We should validate their feelings and not take it personally. It should be acceptable for them to express their feelings without feeling bad about it or apologizing.
    Anonymous

• I tell them it's ok that they hate me but the answer is still no. They need to learn to cope with their anger. They use that to guilt us in to giving in. We should know that they hate what we said or did. They don't really hate us
    *************
    That's how we dealt with it too. They can feel that way (even though it's just that they are pissedat that moment) but the answer would still remain the same. Now, if they called me a name- THAT'S different...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Whoever is sending the nasty messages in relation to this post can stop now. You've been reported. If you read what I wrote you will clearly see that I did not tell them they couldn't be upset or angry. What I said is in MY house you don't speak to people that way. Letting a child scream "I hate you" is not an acceptable way to express anger. And yes, apologize. It is not okay to speak in a way that deliberately hurts anothers feelings. That is called teaching them anger management and self control. You don't have to agree but stop with the personal attacks.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• It has always been a hard rule if you slam your door you will lose it. Oh and she has learned not to lock it too because she got mad I gave her time to cool down and went to talk to her and it was locked so her father got involved and told her its his place and he will break the door down if you lock it.
    Grandma I like your response instead of blowing it off we should ask her if she likes all her cool toys and put the roof over your head.
    preciouschild

Comment by preciouschild (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We have been just ignoring but it doesn't seem to stop and it's very hurtful
    preciouschild

Comment by preciouschild (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2011