Am I wrong for telling another child that it is not ok to threaten to hit other people.

I was faced with a child threatening my daughter saying she will slap her in the face, I told the said child that we do not threaten to hit or hit. The mother of the other child told me I have no right to tell her child that. Please tell me if I was in the wrong

Raingae

Asked by Raingae at 7:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• You were fine. You didn't threaten back or try to 'punish', You didn't lay hands on her and you didn't say anything nasty. I would have done the same thing. The mom was being defensive.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The other child threatened "your" child...ohhh yes! You have every right to speak up. If you dont protect your child who is going to? That is your right as a parent. If it had been me, Im afraid the other mother and I would have had some serious words about the situation. Obviously the mothers reaction to the situation is why her child feels like anothers persons personal space is something she can violate and has no respect for. The apple often doesnt fall to far from the tree.....
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 7:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You were in the right. You were protecting your child.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You were right.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• ditto pp
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• You were not in the wrong IMO. I would have told my child you were right and then there would have been consequences for his/her behavior.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would have done the same thing.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• hi i do not think it is wrong to tell a child not to do sopmething wrong, as long as it is done in the right way, where the child don,t feel afraid.
    classycme

Answer by classycme at 7:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• no you are not wrong, I would do the same!
    Shanaz S.

Answer by Shanaz S. at 7:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would have done the same thing! Maybe if that mother would have took care of it her child wouldn't be acting like that!! If my child ever did that then I wouldn't be mad at someone for telling him it wasn't ok! As long as you weren't screaming at her or anything you weren't wrong.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011