How to get my daughter to stop playing at meal times?

We eat meals together every day. Every day at breakfast, lunch and dinner, she will sit there and try to play and will sit there just staring into space and will not eat. We have done time outs. I really don't know what else to do.
Any other time, she is very well behaved and listens but during meal times, she will not listen to a word we say. It gets frustrating because it makes meal times less enjoyable and we want to break the habit and enjoy meal times together again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ignore it, she'll stop.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Ignore it and don't let it be a battle. Strap her into her high chair or booster seat and go ahead and eat your meal and leave her there to eat. Give her lots of time and if she still doesnt eat then remove her from the table and take her back to what she was doing. Don't even comment on it. She will eat at the next meal. Don't let her snack between meals or fill up on milk either. I had this exact same battle with my youngest and this is the advice his doctor gave me and it worked. He's 11 and eating me out of house and home now!
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 7:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My daughter was the same way when she was smaller. First, I started giving her a timer that I placed in front of her and I told her that if it wasn't finished when the timer went off(15 min) that I was going to take her plate away. Then everytime she said she was hungry, I would give her the same plate of food until it was gone. She really hated that, especially when everybody else was eating something new that she wanted. After a while it worked because she grew very tired of it.
    mray684

Answer by mray684 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• my son used to do the same thing until we started just ignoring him and us all eat and finish up and get up from the table and him still sitting there and his food getting cold. Eventually he got the drift and now he eats along with the rest of us
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2011