What do you think about chocolate milk? Do your kids get it at school?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 7:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• They have it, but he doesn't get it. If I wanted him to drink 2 servings of pop I'd send a Pepsi in his lunch.

Chocolate milk:

http://www.fooducate.com/blog/wp-content/media/nesquik%20chocolate%20milk%20nutritional%20label.gif

http://www.exercisehealthynutrition.com/sitebuilder/images/Pepsi_label-291x372.jpg

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• They like chocolate milk. It's one of the choices at school.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• They offer it at my kids' school, but my kids drink regular milk, juice, or water, they said the school's chocolate milk tastes bad.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 7:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I'm totally cool with chocolate milk. My daughter is in kindergarten, for snack she gets a chocolate milk, fresh fruit and either goldfish or pretzels or yogurt, etc. She's 6 and has never had a glass of soda before, even when she had an upset stomach I tried to give her coke to settle it and she wouldn't touch it, so chocolate milk? a-ok with me.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son gets the chocolate. He only drinks white at home, so I think one cup of it at school is fine. He is underweight anyway so it's not going to make him obese.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My kids usually choose white milk but they do offer chocolate. My kids only drink water at home and milk with their cereal and perhaps at dinner time. My children are both very slim and on the edge of being underweight. I wouldn't mind if they would drink it more often.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• NP, if your child drinks ONE of those bottles of soda he will be drinking 250 calories...also where on your soda is the child also getting protein, vitamin A, Calcium and Vitamin D? If they are not empty calories, I'm good.

Which is 2 and a half servings if you'd read the label. 2 servings of pepsi = 200 calories. It's also lower in fat, cholesterol, salt and sugar. That tiny fraction of vitamins comes in better form from a piece of fruit, along with real fiber. Protein? There is no child in this country who is protein deficient unless they're on a poorly implemented vegan diet. He's also getting plenty of calcium from vegetables, yogurt and cheese. (he'd also get them from the plain white milk in the same cooler as the chocolate, in case you didn't notice).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• NP
    Wow, where does your school get their chocolate milk? I just checked the nutritional information from my son's school supplier and the numbers are significantly less than what you posted.

That's for a half pint (1 cup) of Nesquick. I looked at several labels, and they're all within 40 calories of that, either higher or lower, so I took the one in the middle. They all come in as high or higher than Pepsi, especially in grams of sugar and mg of salt.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• we have 2% chocolate milk and 40% calcium is not Pepsi,

You really think that 40% of calcium that could just as easily come from a piece of cheese makes up for having more sugar than a Pepsi? Some of the answers seem to think I'd actually send a Pepsi in my son's lunch. I absolutely wouldn't. I'm merely pointing out that if I did, he'd have a healthier lunch than if he drank the chocolate milk.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• The high sugar content is why I prefer the powder mix. There is 18 grams of sugar in 4 tbs of ovaltine. When I make it they only get half that so more like 9. plus they get the added around 10% of other added vitamins and minerals. (around 20% if I sued the whole 4 tbs) I am comfortable offering this daily, once. After that it is water or white milk. The pre-bottled stuff is just so much worse nad most of it had HFCS in as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2011