Why is my son clenching his fists?? IS THIS NORMAL?

ok so my 23 week old clenches his fists pretty much all the time.. i cant remember with my daughter if this is normal or not.. IF he doesnt have them tightly clenched, he is opening and closing them.. or he has them both at chest level clenching them together (like hes praying)
he was born at 28 weeks so his adjusted age is really like 2 and a half months..
is this normal or something i should be worried about? he may just be figuring out what his hands are...????
we go to the pediatrician in a week and im going to ask then but i was wondering if i could get a little insight before then..

christina110

Asked by christina110 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was born at 38 weeks and does the same thing....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son used to do the same thing, esp,, when he was trying to go #2,, I think he is fine, and I am so happy that he is doing well!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son is 2 1/2 months and I swear he looks like he is trying to box the way he holds his hands. They are fisted and held out at his chest but not close together. Its funny to watch but normal. He also has his moments when he opens and closes them unless he has a hold of his blanket or my shirt that is then he keeps then closed tight till he wants to let go.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• 23 weeks...sorry, I can't do the math right now. Help a girl out. How many months old is he?

But regardless of age, YES, it is pretty normal, all of my babies (I have 4) did it really from birth all the way up til they started learning they could pick stuff up, and still did it...I'd say til around 6 months. I even do it sometimes.
    Anonymous

• yes, but my son had a physical therapist as a baby who suggested massaging his hands a few times a day to make sure the muscles don't atrophy that way.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i think hes just checking out his hands but ive never had early baby so im not sure yeah id just ask doc
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yes this is absolutely normal and part of the reflexes (Moro reflex I think) all babies are born with. It will diminish by 3-4 months or up to 6 months. Try stroking the outside of the hand at the knuckles and it should open, which is great for washing inside because they get all sweaty in there! :)
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 6:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011