How often does your child (children) play with their friends, and for how long?

lore_tex

Asked by lore_tex at 7:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 5 year old is currently an only child and less social then most. He wants to play with other kids, but he wants to be in control and bossy all the time, so typically the other kids get annoyed after a few minutes and move on. He has 1 friend he'll play with for hours, but they have the same personality. So they spend about 55 minutes arguing about whose in charge, and 5 minutes playing, and then move on to a new game lol. But they work it out themselves, even when arguing, so it works for them. To play by himself though he'll go the entire day in imaginative play. We had a warm day recently he was outside from literally 9am-7pm, I took him lunch outside. He rode his bike, drew with chalk, played with bubbles, got out his matchbox cars, dug in the dirt. All day he was by himself while I worked in the yard/house. So we still have a ways to go with socialization, but at least his imagination works lol
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Almost every day after school. Most days as soon as they are done with their homework they are out the door with their friends. In the summer it's all day long. My 10yo went off the her friend's house less than an hour after getting home. My other kids are watching Spongebob but it's only a matter of time before their friends are knocking on the door. It's raining so it's less likely. If it was nice out they'd be outside already.
    On nice day they are outside all day until dinner and then usually go back out after dinner until it's dark. They are 10, 9, 8 and 5.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We homeschool so they see their friends once a week at co-op. They spend 2 hours in classes and 2 hours for lunch and after lunch social at the co-op. Then we may see some of them (or other friends) for additional play/socializing once a week for another 3-4 hours.

In ADDITION to that my kids also spend time at dance, gym classes, scouts, sports, and other activities that allow them to spend time w/other children.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We live in an apartment complex with 3 buildings set up in a U shape around a grassy area and all the kids play there. So in the spring as soon as school lets out they are playing outside, weather permitting. I go out with my 5yo and 1yo until I have to make dinner, then the baby and I come in but my older boy stays out till dinner. Then he usually goes out afterwards until about 8. In the summer it's all day! I have trouble getting him in for meals lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• They are out playing as soon as they get home from school, come in to eat and back out until they have to come in. On weekends it is nothing for them to spend hours together and a lot of sleep overs.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• mostly at school
    biblebook4me

Answer by biblebook4me at 4:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011