Would you push for a corn syrup-free school?

We always hear about schools making dietary rules to avoid allergies, but what about other health issues? It's been shown again and again that the use of corn syrup in our diet is connected to the exponential increase of type 2 diabetes across all demographics, not to mention the factors it plays in obesity and food addiction.

That isn't something that only impacts a few kids with allergies - it's slowly predisposing every child in the school towards diabetes and other health problems.  Even if they have restrictions in home, nearly everything they eat in a school lunch contains corn syrup, even non-sweet foods.  From the bread to the milk, it's in everything they swallow.  And it's not simply empty calories, it's empty calories that do even more damage by adversely impacting insulin levels over long term use (as the body processes more and more with every food and drink, it becomes less able to monitor how much actual insulin it really needs). Because of how food is processed, that one restriction would circumvent a lot of the other bad food that makes it into the lunchroom, banning the corn syrup would ban all the overprocessed, high fat, and high salt foods that usually contain all 3 problems in one.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, I would push for higher education, more arts funding, better teacher salaries, more parent involvement, about 100 things before I got to corn syrup.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• No! They are looking into the wrong things! kimigogo is right and if parents are that concerned about lunches then make one for your child to take it to school.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Nope! There are more important issues that should be dealt with. I agree with previous posters. Pack a lunch for your kid if you don't like what the school serves to them.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Interesting. It doesn't bother you that your property taxes go to subsidize a lunch full of chemicals for a bunch of other kids, so long as you can send your own kid a decent lunch? Seems to me schools should be teaching about nutrition and practicing it, and leaving it to the parents who don't care to send Fritos and Capri Sun in a lunch box, not the other way around. Why should unhealthy (which costs more) be the default and healthy (which is also cheaper) be reserved for only certain people?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Considering that my district had to fight to keep its only middle school from being closed and merged into the high school... i think that is a battle WAY off from us right now. I would be happy to have a corn syrup free school. I think it's a poison to little bodies and we should be filling them up with good nutrient rich food... but i don't know that it would be right to mandate it.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• NP,, this has really got you going,, yes it would be better if lunches could be made healthier, but there are so many other things that a parent can't fix (like a lunch),, and lots of people pay property taxes who don't have kids, perhaps they should get to chose where their money goe? I was just trying to point out that there are issues,, beyond our control,, simmer down sis,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• NP,, this has really got you going,

It does? I didn't realize I had to ask your permission to comment on my own questions. How long am I supposed to wait if you're not online? I've asked a very basic, logical question. Then, based on the answers, I asked another basic, logical question. Why are you so defensive?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Frankly our school can not hardly handle their current budgets and budget deficits. They do the best they can with the money they have...in my school district. No the menu is not healthy enough...so I make them healthy lunches and snacks. It is the best we can do in these hard times.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I guess all schools could cut out all unhealthy food and go completely organic. But then us tax payers would be paying more money in taxes because organic food costs more. We can't get everybody to eat healthy food. Kids like to eat what tastes good.
    Anonymous

• I don't know that I'd push for it, but I wouldn't be against it. I'll probably just pack my child's lunch when he goes to school anyways. I can make sure he's eating healthy foods.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011