What to do about biteing kids

peggy752

Asked by peggy752 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bite them back! worked for me and lots of other Mom's. It hurts like hell and once they know how bad it hurts and that you will bit them for biting others they usually wont bite others.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Bite them back, exactly, see how they like it! My son has 3 full teeth, and he bit me really hard one time so I bit him back (he's 17 months), he doesn't understand too much, but when I bit him (not too hard at all) he looked so surprised his face just said " What? You can't do that!" LOL it was priceless, he doesn't bite anyone or anything now lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• sealed lip

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• biting kids back will only get DHS called. my husband did that to his son when he bit me and his ex called DHS because of it. I suggest talking to them and if that doesn't work, then I don't know what to do..
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• NO nooo don't bite them back geez thats like saying don't do what I do.. firmly say no, put the child in a timeout 1 min per age.. if that doesn't work- firmly say no, take two fingers & tap their mouth, say no biting that hurts, then give them a time-out.. be consistent.. my 22 month old tried to bite me, with him being sensitive all I had to do was firmly say no & move him away from me.. he stopped biting me
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• true febmom007- you do have to worry about child services more now
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I bit back, child services were never called and my entire family plus daycare knew I bit back. He never bit again. I could talk to DS till I was blue in the face he didn't understand he was inflicting pain by biting. When I grabbed his fingers and bit back and then said "ouchy huh?" he answered yes, and I followed up with "that's how mommy feels when you bite me. Let's not hurt anyone anymore" Never happened again, he's 5 now and still tells others biting isn't ok because it causes pain and makes people sad. Do what works for you, but I've never had a mom tell me she bit back and the kid continued the behavior. I hear all the time "I've tried talking it doesn't seem to work" It's because children learn through concrete actions, they don't understand it hurts until they're showed that it hurts.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Ive tried biting back but he thinks its funny so I smack his hand and tell him no no thats not nice it seems to be working.. Good luck momma
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• omg did she really say to bite them back? since we're not allowed to bash anyone I'll keep my thoughts to myself but for goodness sakes TEACH the child not to bite the same way to teach him to do other things you want and don't want him to do. Simply tell him No Biting and keep saying it until he gets it. Remove your finger, hand, arm, toe, face or whatever he is biting when he tries. Say "No Biting" in a firm voice and don't laugh or he'll think it's game.
    Anonymous

• Biting Back teaches them that biting is OKAY. Has everyone gone nuts tonight? It reinforces the bad behavior. That's like hitting a child to teach him not to hit. THINK ABOUT IT.
    Anonymous