My hands need some serious TLC!

I work in a sheltered Work Center for MR/DD adults. Right now we have a job where a company put the wrong stickers on some oil filters. So we are peeling off the stickers and using alcohol to clean off the glue. Needles to say after 3 days in a row of this my hands are taking some serious damage! My nails are dry and brittle anyways, now they are all down so far it  actually hurts. My cuticles are cracking and bleeding, and my hands are just sooooo dry. I put lotion on a few times at work, but its hard to do the filters with lotion on my hands. We can't use any tools on them to remove the stickers ebcause we can't stratch them, so finger nail power is our only option. And I tried gloves that was just way to cumbersome.  So wihle I am sacraficing my hands is there anything I can do to try to save them? I have band aids and neosporin on every one of my fingers right now. I thought about getting some fake nails, but we aren't allowed.  I know once this job is done I'm getting a professional manicure!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Soak them in warm salt water, just to clean them from all the crap and make sure they don't get infected. If you have cuts and cracks it will hurt, but it wont hurt as bad as infections. A professional manicure wont feel so great after all that torture, you should wait a week or so. Dry your hands after you soak them for about 15 minutes, and apply some lotion. Aloe will do them some good too =)
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Oh my....bless your heart that sounds horrible! Have you tried Mary Kay's Satin Hands?? It keeps the moisture in your hands without having to keep putting hand cream on over and over. Sounds like you would need to use it twice a day though....
    PM me and I will give you the Cafemom special. Good luck to you.
    AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 9:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I do have some of the Mary Kay Satin Hands stuff. I only have enough to do it about 3 more times though, so I have been trying to hold off on it. I might do it tonight though.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Oh what a job. What a trooper you are !Do you put some good lotion on your hands over night? Even Gold bond? Or some cream baby oil? They have that at the Dollar tree. Best of luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I use vaseline at night and it helps a lot. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Try Bag Balm. I get it at Walmart, in a green square tin. It also has an antiseptic in it. I put it on at night and then put a pair of cotton gloves on.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 2:32 AM on Apr. 17, 2011