Any parents out there not let their children watch any tv through the week?

I have knocked around the idea of only letting the kids watch tv on the weekends. Does this seem cruel to you?

I would ten times rather my kids play with toys, color, play a game or outside when it warms up than sit in front of the tv....

Thoughts?

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 9:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• You are an inspiration to me
    May your tribe increase!
    biblebook4me

Answer by biblebook4me at 4:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I am about to try this. My son is 3 1/2 and is turning into a monster when it comes to the tv. We live in northern wisconsin and it has been too cold to play outside for months (-20 with windchill is too cold to make a snowman!!). He got up to watching 3 hours of tv some days!!

Now that it is getting nicer out I am hoping to limit his tv time to maybe 1 or 2 shows a day or not at all. I know it will be hard for us, but I hope we can do it!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Our TV isn't on Monday- Thursday. I DVR things they want to watch, and then they can in the evenings on the weekends if we're home.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• When they were in younger grades at school I restricted TV to weekends. As they got older and stayed up later, I could no longer restrict. When they were pre-school, we watched about an hour of children's programming every morning and that was all.

Answer by Bmat at 9:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I leave the TV on Nick Jr most of the day, and my son only actually sits down and watches in a couple of times for like 5 to 10 minutes at a time. He's 17 months old and he learned so much! He sings "back pack back pack"!
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• No not cruel at all. Keep their minds on the books. My girls only watch tv on Friday, and Saturday. We're going to see the movie "HOP" tomorrow.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I couldn't do that, for I wouldn't be able to stand it. lol I need the background noise of the television in my home. I allow her shows during breakfast, but then I change the channel. If nothing is interesting her, she is coloring, reading, playing play doh, etc etc anyway. With the weather getting nicer, we'll all be outside a LOT more.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:46 AM on Apr. 16, 2011