To "rewire" a home...

we are in the process of attempting to buy a forclosure home... I think it is a great home with alot of good qualities.... BUT we just have an uneasy feeling about the electrical wiring.

We know it is old, but not sure how old.

It is an old home , it has alot of updates but the electrical is unknown....

I have had 2 people look at it and they cant tell me.... they can see the original wiring and they can see newer -- but they dont know how old/ new that is and if it works good....

the power is shut off right now and they cant turn it on to check .....

I really do not want to lose this house, but I also am afraid we will buy it and go to turn on the lights and find out they dont work and we will have to rewire the house....

So I am also wondering... if we do end up having to rewire, about how much would it cost ( for a not huge american foursquare) .... and when you do rewire a house do u have to pay in full or can you make monthly payments ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• My spouse is an electrician. We bought a house from the 1930s; all of the mechanicals were really old. The wiring was all in cloth. I refused to sleep in the house until we rewired everything.

You definitely want a contingency in the contact giving you the right to cancel based on issues found during the inspection.

If you are in the Chicago metro area, contact me,and I can get my spouse over to give you an idea of what is there, and what needs to be done.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• YOU SHOULD ALSO TALK TO THE COMPANY WHO WILL BE INSURING THE HOUSE FOR YOU . THEY MAY HAVE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS CONCERNING THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUITRY.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• We have a small house and are in the process of rewiring the whole thing. We have a friend who is an electrician who is helping out and not charging us. He said it would cost up to $10,000 normally to have it done. By the time we're done, since he's a pro doing it for free, we'll only have money in the parts - just a few hundred dollars. DH is very handy and has done most of it himself, the friend just helps with things he's not sure of. It wouldn't take long to rip the whole works out and put all new in, and you could tack the cost onto your mortgage. IMO it's worth it to redo it in the first place when what's there is unknown.
    Anonymous

• Have a licensed electrician look at it in addititon to a home inspection.  My nephew bought his home after a home inspection but the insurance company would not insure the home until the wiring was redone.  It cost them $11,000.  Be careful!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:01 AM on Apr. 16, 2011