Do you tell your friend if you caught their kid lying or stealing??

juliemomx2

Asked by juliemomx2 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends on how old they are and what exactly they did. If its a teenage or a kid old enough to know what they did was wrong,and it wasnt toooooo terrible, I would warn them and say "if you do it again, I'll tell your mother." If it was serious I'd tell right away.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Unless it was something trivial. I probably would .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would. I'd want to know if my child were doing those things, so I'd have the decency to tell another parent.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree with the first poster, depends on the age of the child and the act committed. If one of my son's friends (he's 5) were caught "lying" I'd probably tell the mother the story out of humor rather then concern the child was lying. 5 year olds have some ridiculous stories when they're trying to get out of trouble. If it were a teen who I thought was in danger or trouble, I'd be the first to spill it. If it were something trivial I'd probably mind my own business. Stealing is illegal regardless of age, so no matter what I'd bring that up to the other parent. If it were a young child I'd leave the lecture to their mom, probably tell them that's not ok and move on, inform mom later. if it were a teen I'd probably give them a piece of my mind, then let their mom handle it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Yes. I would want to know about it if it were my child, and I think most parents would want to know, so I would tell them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• EXample did you eat the cake
    Child -no
    you- while the kid has choclate all over his face,, I think you did
    not tell the parent
    Example
    Did you smoke pot with my kid
    child-no
    you --see red eyes, reeks of pot--i think you did
    tell!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• If it were my child and I'd want to know, I'd tell the other parent.

I have a neighbor kid that comes over, about 10-12 or so, to trade me pokemon. I'm 30. I made it a point last night to meet the kid's mom. If either of my children were spending LOTS of time with a grown adult *I* would want to know what's up with the adult. So I made myself known.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• YES!!! I can't say it strong enough!! Wouldn't you want to know if it was your child???
    auntifrog

Answer by auntifrog at 1:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My boyfriend's son told us that he had smoked pot with this other boy. I am good friends with this boy's mom. It was not a dilemma at all. I explained to our child what I had to do and why. I said that it was our job to keep our children safe and smoking pot is not a safe acitivity. I explained that if this other boy's mom knew that our child was drinking on Friday nights and didn't tell us then she would not be giving us the option to help him and keep him safe. This is what we worked out: I spoke to the other child and gave him the option to tell him mom in which I was to receive confirmation or I would tell her. I gave him a time line. (By the way, I love this other kid, too!) Everything worked out. The boy told his mom and stepdad and learned he could talk to them. The mom appreciated my strategy and our child learned that he wouldn't lose friends if situations were handled properly.
    TereseM

Answer by TereseM at 11:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• YES I WOULD
    biblebook4me

Answer by biblebook4me at 4:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2011