My dd (7 years old) best friend is a boy and they want to have a sleep over?

juliemomx2

Asked by juliemomx2 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• If its her best friend that she hangs out with alllllllllll the time, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just watch them. Let them stay in the living room and watch tv and stuff like that, and give them stuff to occupy themselves with. If anything bad happens..send him packin and sit your daughter down and have a talk with her. I'd give it a try.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Absolutely not . A precedent I would not want to set. Girls only sleepovers for my daughters.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I dont feel it is appropriate.. for a lot of reasons.
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Ds is best friends with twins a boy and a girl, he is 6 and so are they,, I have had them over for sleep overs quite a bit,, at bedtime, boy twin goes to DS's room and girl usually sleeps on the couch, or next to my bed in a sleeping bag, she doesn't like to be alone,, I have no issue with it, although we probably won't be doing it when they are 13, but then againg alot of kids have opposite sex brothers and sisters, so IDK,, but at this age I think it is fine.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I agree 100% with what xmama_bellax2 said exactly how I would handle it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Nope. You simply explain that he's a boy and she's a girl, and it is lovely that they are friends, but boys and girls do not do sleep-overs together. Boys have sleepovers with boys, and girls have sleepovers with girls.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I think at this age it would be ok as long as both sets of parents are ok with it and there are clearly set boundaries.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• do it, I tink its a great idea, most of my friends all through high school were guys!!! If they become friendly at this age he will think of her as a little sister later and protect her. Plus guys are much more easy going and less catty then girls!
    DallasMomVicki

Answer by DallasMomVicki at 9:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• First I think 7 is way to YOUNG for a sleep over! (unless it's grandma's house). I wouldn't allow sleep overs to happen until they are at least 9 and then it would only be with a family I know extremely well. (i.e. I am BFF with the mom as well). In addition they would only be allowed to have sleep over with a friend of the same sex.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm tough one. Both sides have a really good argument as to whether or not they have a sleepover together. I would probably not allow them to sleep in the same room, if you did go ahead with the sleepover, and explain that boys and girls do not sleep together in the same room (unless you let 'em sleep in the living room).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011