What happens if a cast gets wet?

My son was taking a bath, and had a plastic bag over it and somehow got wet on top and bottom. I used hair dryer but still feels damp. He has to leave on until April 27. Do you think it should be ok?

hazeleyezmommy

Asked by hazeleyezmommy at 9:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• i think it will start to smell my cousin got his wet and it was gross idk if they redid it or what.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 9:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• My son Nov 2009 had surgery that required him to wear a cast on both of his feet for 2 months. We were told by the surgeon it was important for us to keep the cast clean and dry. For those two months we gave him only sponge bath (wiped him down with a damp rag) and was extremely careful to keep his cast dry. We were told it was important because moisture can cause the cast to go soft and loose its shape. We were also told that a wet cast could also cause skin infections.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Seeing you used the dryer..did you dry it from the inside? What I mean is did you try to aim the air so it got in the inside the area between the cast and skin?
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• it might get a little musty smelling...as far as ruining the cast, it won't...that plaster is super hard and it actually hardens with water. they have to use a saw to take it off....it may get his skin a little irritated. Try slipping a dry washcloth or cotton t-shirt between his skin and the cast so he doesn't get a rash.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• it will start to grow mold if water gets under the cast
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I just had that happen to my own cast and was told just to blow dry it.
    TereseM

Answer by TereseM at 11:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• go back to the hospital and have them put a new one on.
    biblebook4me

Answer by biblebook4me at 4:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2011