Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If I want to babysit in my home

Are there legal or tax related steps I need to take first? How would I be able to accept moms who use CCIS or other programs that help pay for childcare? Will I need invoices for tax records?
If I do this, I don't want it to come back and bite me in the ass because I didn't save paperwork or something...


Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 21 (10,161 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I am in PA. I am currently not licensed. I am getting my paper work together. But I can watch 3 unrelated children without having a license. For taxes, I have an ein that I use. I give that to the parents and they report what they paid for childcare on their taxes. I use the ein so I have no need to give them my ss#. I give the parents weekly receipts of payment, this is the proof of my income. You need your license, in PA anyway, to accept payments from ccis.

    Answer by JamieLK at 10:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • You need to contact your local child and protective services (or what ever it is called in your area) and asked them what permits or anything you need to be legal in your area.

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • Yes there are permits you need and yes you can do it from your home...Well at least in Texas

    Answer by MexTexmom2 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • Your local health department should be able to answer your questions. In Kansas you have to be licensed to do daycare.


    Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

  • I believe you need to be licensed no matter where you are.

    Answer by mollgirl59 at 7:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • check with your homeowner's insurance too and ask if you need any additional riders for safety sake

    Answer by elizabr at 9:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

Next question in Money & Work
To "rewire" a home...

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
More pics*