Are there signs of autism as early as 6 months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes, but docs are very hesitant to say anything. The first things we noticed with my son was no eye contact, and him spinning everything including himself in the walker.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• That's debatable: some groups say yes, some say no. Babies are odd little people, they do weird things that oftentimes seem like symptoms of autism, but are nothing to be concerned about.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes there are signs but no one will make a diagnosis before 18 months. I read an article in a readers digest about a baby born with sensory issues and the parents struggle for a diagnosis, but it was last year I think. The articles was called the boy who loved( or liked) windows. very insightful
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It is just hard to conclude anything at that age. Babies can be quirky and sometimes it is really something...and sometimes it isn't. Many times it isn't as serious as you worry about, though.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yes and no. Usually nothing concrete, but my friend has a son living with Autism, and when he was diagnosed, she looked back and said this, and this, and this... when he was a baby.... I should have known....
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yes but no doctor will diagnose it that early. You just have to know exactly what to look for.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• yes, once yopu know what to look for, hindsight is 20 20
    sparrow1138

Answer by sparrow1138 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?id=515218
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• The book is "The boy who loved windows", I believe. I was reading it once at speech therapy while waiting for my son. Very good book. 6 mos? I can't remember but he did cry alot and scream about everything. He loved his pacifier until age 4. He didn't care about xmas or presents,only a few toys. I have it down in reports at early as 19 mos the symptoms he was doing but nobody told me about autism when he saw the dr. the nurse told us at 30 months old that he had symptoms. And 2 mos old, he had RSV, followed by many ear infections and lots of antibiotics. At 16 mos he had ear tubes put in.
    Sylbroyles

Answer by Sylbroyles at 8:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2008