What do you say, how do you console a man who literally breaks down and start crying in front of you?

I had a male coworker do this to me, no was not on a sexually level, he was married, he was going through it, and just broke down. I was in shock. Big strong manly man to literally cry. At work..I know men have feelings, but... I did not know... I did not even understand what he was saying. Appeared to have a bill in his hand. Would you have hug him asked what was wrong? after my initial shock I tried, whew! that was a first.

AMMA554

Asked by AMMA554 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• At times someone just needs let it out with someone and a lending ear is all that someone needs. The stresses of life is really overwhelming now a days.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I'm not sure what it matters that he's a man. But first I would have asked him what was wrong. Then I would see if I could help or at the very least give him some advice as to what he can do to ease his issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Probably. I am assuming this person trusts you enough to do that, or whatever it was that got him so upset he couldn't control his emotions, either way I would take him to a private conference room or space and listen. Never had that happen to me, male or female. Just out of curiosity, what was it that cuased him to break down?
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I don't care who it is, my first instinct when I see someone upset is to comfort them. I understand being shocked, though, most people feel very, very insecure with crying at work, and that goes double for men. He must have been very, very upset to break down like that. Poor guy. If you feel you didn't react how you would have liked, just remind him later on that you were shocked, but you are still there to talk if he wants.

You're a good person to care :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would try to console him by asking what was wrong... poor guy! he probably just needed to vent.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• He is the strong and sensitive type and trusted you to see his softer side...I would just tell him that your there to talk to anytime but be aware he might take the gesture a step further and to stop it if that were to happen...nothing wrong with being a friend
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 10:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I always want to comfort and console as well, I would have hugged him but I hug everyone lol
    DallasMomVicki

Answer by DallasMomVicki at 10:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I know what you mean... i never know what to do in those situations.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• ???
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• After my shock, i did attempt to ask, he was crying so hard, and looked what appeared to be a bill. home problems perhaps. I thought that, him being a man I was corned in an office by myself. Oh we have talked before, i will listen to anyone who wish to vent, talk there issue out. That just really eh... eh... surprised me.
    AMMA554

Comment by AMMA554 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2011