White Spots

My son has these white spots on his face, one on each side. When they first showed up last summer his doctor said it was from the sunscreen and chlorine in the pool and after he lost his tan, it would fade away. I noticed during the winter, it was there just not as noticeable without the tan. Its showing up again and he does not wear sunscreen and has not bee in the pool since the summer.
What else can be causing this?

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Health

• I would ask for a referral to the dermatologist. They will be able to give you a more definitive answer. There are some disorders of the melanin that can cause white spots, but the dermatologist will be able to tell you whether it is something like that or something chemical or more surface.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• i agree, see a dermatologist
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Maybe Vitiligo?

Vitiligo is a skin condition in which there is a loss of brown color (pigment) from areas of skin, resulting in irregular white patches that feel like normal skin.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 6:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I agree, see a dermatolagist. There is also a fungal infection that can cause this.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2011