Trying to put my 8 month old son to sleep without a bottle and pacifier any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wouldnt take both of them away at the same time that would be to much 4 him....how i did it was i took my son to walmart and let him pick out a new cup it was hard and a long few nights but after a week or so he just forgot about it.....i took his pacifier slowly started out not letting him have it much dearing the day i would read to me or play with him to get his mind off of it until he fell asleep and slowly he just gave it up.....hope that helps good luck
    mama2305

Answer by mama2305 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• he hasnt had the pacifier since he was 5 months old. so if i take the bottle away i dont want to start him on the pacifier again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Hi, we switched to a sippy cup with water. Babies need to suck. If they don't have something, they may start sucking their thumb and that's worse. We liked water because it met the sucking need and simulated a bottle without actually being one. You can buy sippy bottles (w/o a rubber nipple) that have a special valve so it won't leak in the crib.

Our kids used the water bottle many, many years and eventually grew out of it. When they were old enough, they even filled it themselves. I am not surprised. I observed my son sucking in his sleep when he was 5 years old. I researched it online and found 5-8 years is actually normal. I thought, why fight nature? I'll just find something acceptable. Water won't smell if a little spills; no extra laundry.

It's also why I do not judge moms who choose to nurse many years. It was not something I wanted to do, but I also don't see anything wrong with it.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• oh goodness. this child will have oral fixation someday
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 2:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• what does oral fixation mean? i have been putting water in his bottle. and it seems to help but ive tried the sippy cups and the holes in them are to big he drowns himself when he trys to drink out of it because to much comes out at one time and he is not used to it. so i dont know what to do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• just put a hault to it lot better for baby to not drag it out they dont suffer as much read my answer to ? before yours same kind of ?
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• 8 months is right at the age where they get attached to security objects that help with self soothing - so if you don't want to use the pacifier exclusively in his crib you could try a small lovey or blankie. Most babies like to have something that is there to help them to calm themselves in between heavy and light sleep cycles. Sleep with the lovey in your bed for a week or so then put it in his this will help him to bond with it. I would switch to water in the bottle and slowly reduce the amount, but if this doesn't work having a bottle with water in bed isn't too big of a concern in my opinion!
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 6:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011