What can a breastfeeding mom take for a cough/ cold?

3wonderfullboys

Asked by 3wonderfullboys at 11:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Okay other then cough what are your symptoms? A nasal flush does wonders for your sinuses and honey is great for a cough. Some Chamomile tea and honey would be good. Try the site www.kellymom.com for other ideas specific to your symptoms
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I would call a 24 hour pharmecy and ask them what to take, they know just as much and sometimes more then the DR
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Drink cup after cup of a no caffeine hot beverage, such as herbal tea and get plenty of sleep; as many cat naps as you can. If you don't like herbal tea, you can make a lemon/honey concoction in the microwave. Take 1/2 lemon and squeeze it in a mug. Cook about 1 minute in the microwave; use a glove or hot pad and squeeze more juice out. Add honey to taste and water to the top, heat again to just a bit hotter than a drinkable temperature and sip it while it's as hot as you can stand it without burning yourself.

Hot non caffeine liquids heat the throat so the bacteria can't live. It will help a sore throat, but if you don't have one, drinking 5-7 cups in a day keeps you so hydrated that your body can more easily fight the infection. Likewise with the sleep. You can nip it in the bud if you do it before your symptoms are severe, but if it's too late already, you will get better faster.

No drugs and it works.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• I was told by my dr that I could take theraflu as long as I didnt take more then it said
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Try hot tea with sugar and lemon, or hot chicken soup. Lots of liquids. We will always catch colds, they come and go, and I don't think all of the over the counter drugs are necessary or even truly work.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 11:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Most OTC meds are fine. Some, usually the ones with psuedoephedrine have the potential to lower supply, but with frequent nursing and keeping your fluids up, you can usually avoid that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2011